Mystery Rooster, and unknown breed hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SharkmanDan, Mar 17, 2015.

1. SharkmanDan

SharkmanDan Chillin' With My Peeps

A while back I was given two roosters, that were both supposed to be Jersey Giants. Figuring that I'd keep them both, a while, to see which one wound up the dominant one, then either trade the other, or send him to freezer camp. A few weeks ago, began noticing some coloring in the hackles of one of them, and now the golden-reddish/copper color is very distinct. I am now doubting his breed. Not that it matters much. The other rooster seems more dominant, and will be the breeding cock. But, I am curious, if I may have something unusual here. Someone suggested that he might be a Rhode Island Black, or even a VERY DARK Rhode Island Red. His coloring reminds me much of the coloring in the female sex-links. But, his black feathers have a greenish sheen, much like my Australorp.
    The last photo, shows both of the "Jersey Giant" roosters, next to one of my Narragansett Toms.
    My friend who gave him to me got him from another breeder, so he believed them to be JG's. This one didn't develop the colored hackles, until after he came to stay with me. Heck, for a long time, his saddle feathers weren't even showing well, and I wasn't certain he was a rooster, though my friend was positive that he was.
    Also, in the first photo, you'll see a whitish hen, with orange highlights around her hackles, and tail, like a Columbian pattern, only orange, not black. Any ideas on her breed, if any, would be welcome. She was feral, in my area, and just kind of joined my flock one day. I guess she preferred the feed I gave my birds, over hunting for food, every day. She forages well, but she would rather eat commercial feed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2. I think he may be a Black Copper Marans rooster or BCM cross, possibly with an Australorp or Jersey giant.

4. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Think the rooster is a black copper marans australorp cross.

5. SharkmanDan

WOW, Black Copper, huh? Nice. Probably one that's been cross bred with something else, I'd suppose, for one, or another purpose, being the reason for the non feathered shanks?

On the hen. Looking at the link you provided. I don't think so. Hard to say. Body type is all wrong for that bird, though.
    She's likely some kind of a barnyard mix. I was just hoping for a dominant breed. She strikes me, in both body type and color/patterning, as looking like she is a cross between my Euskal Oiloas and either Delawares or Columbian Wyandottes. It's just that, in these parts, nobody seems to have any Euskal Oiloas. And, she has ZERO black in her feathers. All of those breeds have at least some black in their feathers. And, they seem to be very difficult to locate, locally. I would like to get about 7 more hens, and a rooster or even two, and begin breeding them. The cockerels are amazingly beautiful birds, and hens are very sweet and hardy.

6. SharkmanDan

I take too long to type. Two of you agree, at the same time as I was typing.
    I wonder, what a cross between him, and my Cuckoo Marans, would produce? I'm assuming, some sort of a Marans Sex Link, I would imagine? Thoughts?

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't say she was a Red Pyle Old English Game--but rather maybe she's maybe red pyle colored with an link to an example... There are red pyle Old English Game (large fowl and bantams), Modern Game, Brahma, etc. etc. The image does not show enough of her body to be able to guess what breed--including leg color.

Before the Black Copper Marans had a US Standard, there were non-feather-shanked birds and French feather shanked birds. The standard opted to go for the French standard that has feathered shanks. In England, I believe, the standard is for non-feathered shanks. So, there are likely still some "Black Copper Marans" in the US without feathered shanks.

ETA for clarification: your rooster over cuckoo Marans hens would indeed produce black sex links.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your rooster looks like a Black Copper Marans, and your hen looks like a mixed breed.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

10. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    That is definitely a French Black Copper Marans cross! Beautiful chickens with feathers so black the shimmer green in the sunlight. I have them and they are lovely. They lay a deep chocolate colored egg too.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by