Mystery rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mucduc, Apr 1, 2016.

1. mucduc

mucduc Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2015
    Hey everyone

2 weeks ago I have had this mystery rooster show up and just start hanging out with my 23 hens and 2 other roosters. The 3 roosters seem to get along just fine, but mystery rooster isn't allowed in the coop yet so he sleeps outside. Just out of curiosity, what do yall think he is?[​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

American game bantam???? Picture from Google images.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  3. TimCline

TimCline Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2016
    Inez, ky
    Some kind of gamefowl. Probably a mix if he just showed up. Is he standard size (3 to 5 pounds) or bantam? I wouldn't let him in the coop with other Roos if I were you.

4. mucduc

May 6, 2015
    I imagine he has cut threw the woods from a neighbors maybe. He was just coming over in the mornings and leaving at night but now I have found him rooster under one of my lean tos.

He is standard size. Maybe slightly taller than my Americauna rooster and definitely taller than my Rhone island red mutt rooster.

5. ramboas93

ramboas93 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Oregon
    I have a Cubalaya rooster that looks just like him. He also gets along just fine with my other standard sized rooster(new hampshires and black copper marans). He will try too breed with anything(seen him try with my turkeys before) which is probably why he came to your flock seeing how many hens. He is also the friendliest of the roosters(will come up and lay down on his side like a dog waiting to be petted), and he will also lay on the eggs trying to get the hens to go broody which is unique for me cus ive never seen any other roosters do that yet.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  6. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Some people just "dump' off their unwanted roosters; the same as unwanted dogs and cats.

7. mucduc

May 6, 2015
    He does look similar to a Cubalaya. I tried searching Google imagines, but if you just type in "rooster" it brings up all sorts of pictures that look similar. He is also pretty friendly. He will come hang out around me but i figured that was because he was lonely. He also tries to mate with the hens. I got a whole new batch of chicks that are will be joining the flock in a month or so, so the rooster to hen ratio will still be 12:1. So I will probably keep him around if he wants to stay.

I knew a neighbor from a couple hundred yards around used to have hens in the front yard, but i dont see them wandering around anymore. So this rooster may be out in search of new friends. just dont know what he is.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He looks like an Easter egger to me. Pea comb, beard, greenish legs. Pretty classic EE

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE roo

10. mucduc

May 6, 2015
    oh yeah i can see that. didnt even really note the beard. Im sure a lot of places EE are popular, but where I am at, the feed store gets them often and sells out of them. I will go with EE unless someone says otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by