Mystery Roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArtCaptain, Feb 21, 2015.

1. ArtCaptain

ArtCaptain Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    So I have some roosters that are black feathered and make weird noises. [​IMG]They're pretty funny actually Cx.

Ok so here are my actual roosters![​IMG]

[​IMG]This one here is Pebbles!
    [​IMG]And this one here is Pudding!
    Are they Orpintons or Australorps?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your black roosters are probably Black Australorps, as that is the most common black breed. Alternatively, they could be Orpingtons.

3. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    I think they might be black uhhh aus-tra-lorps...[​IMG]That name sounds very familiar. I think that might have been what the pet shop sign said![​IMG]

4. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    I looked up images of black orpintons and australorps but they both look the same. [​IMG]Does anybody know the difference btween those two?

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I believe you have an Australorp rooster there. The Orpingtons are rare and also are a loose feathered bird giving them a heavier body appearance.

Babs

Edited to add....
    I re read the post and the rooster pictured is not yours.
    If yours are larger they may also be Black Jersey Giants.
    Foot color will tell you the aussie from the giant.
    Yellow bottoms on the feet is the Jersey. Pinkish or white is the Aussie.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    The differences between Black Orpingtons and Black Australorps are very subtle and the two breeds are not easy to tell apart. Even John R. Henderson, who has both breeds and is the author of Henderson's Handy Dandy Chicken chart, admits that he can't tell them apart (http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html). There are some very minuet differences however. Black Orpingtons are typically somewhat heavier bodied birds with more fluff on their rears. I've read that judges look at the width of the Black Orpington's back, which is broader and blockier than that of a Black Australorp. Black Orpingtons also have larger heads and shorter necks than Black Australorps. Black Australorps, while somewhat smaller and less meaty than Black Orpingtons, are better layers. A Black Australorp actually holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while that record will probably never be matched again, Black Australorp hens do occasionally lay over 300 eggs in a year.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

8. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA
    I know that pic isn't mine. I found it on the internet.I just used it because it looked similar to the roosters I have[​IMG]

9. ArtCaptain

Dec 13, 2014
    The IE in CA

10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Both are Aussies. Orpingtons are puffier in the feathers and look like they are lower to the ground because of all the fluff. Nice looking roosters you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by