Mystery roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shalla, Nov 22, 2016.

1. shalla

shalla Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    I have an 8 month old white crested black polish named Herman.
    He has been very good about getting into the coop at night ever since he was moved fromy the house to the coop.
    One night in September I went to lock everyone up and found him on a roost inside the run, not in the coop with everyone else..
    He's actually been doing it at least once a week since. I thought it was correlating with warmer nughts but now that it's November and 30° at night he has still done it..

Anyone have any insight as to why he would be doing this? I'm not worried about his safety, the run is protected like fort Knox just curious as to why he would start this?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Ah, a chicken mystery! Play Nancy Drew and stake out the coop at roosting time and watch what goes on.

I'm betting roosting time is much too frenzied for Herman's delicate sensibilities, and he craves a bit of peace now and then.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First investigative aspect, Space Ratios:
    Number of birds, size of coop in feet by feet, and length of roost also in feet.

Pics of coop and run, inside and out, might also offer essential clues.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  4. shalla

shalla Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    The coop is 6 feet wide and 8 feet long with 7 birds.
    5 buff orpington hens less than a year old, 1 easter egger and him.
    Tonight he actually recruited a partner...
    [​IMG]

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Herman's a funny little dude. He appears to be persuasive with the ladies, at least one of them.

You have an interesting little flock, all right.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think he would still be safer in the coop. Maybe you should pick up and deposit him on the roost as often as it takes till he relearns that behavior. Chickens don't like to move In the dark and Polish (as well as silkies) can have their vision obscured by big crests etc - making them sitting ducks for almost any predator. Are you sure no one is bullying him off the roost?

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    For what it's worth, I have three six-month old pullets that have a coop all to themselves with the exception of one much younger pullet. They often try to get away with roosting in the run. But they don't want to roost on a regular perch. They insist on perching on a one-inch partition, and I pull them off when they look like they don't intend to move into the coop to sleep. Tonight, the youngest pullet was out there with them just as Herman had corrupted his girlfriend.

I'm pretty good at figuring out why my chickens do some of the weird things they do, but I am stumped with this. My run is secure, but I'd rather they roost in the coop where the perch is more suitable to still growing young pullets. I just lift them off and set them on the ground, and then they get the hint and go inside. Maybe you need to pull rank and do the same.

1 person likes this.
  8. shalla

shalla Just Hatched

May 28, 2016

Very sure he's not being bullied. His girls definitely follow his lead and know he's in charge.
    I do put him in every night that I find him out there when I go to close up.

9. shalla

shalla Just Hatched

May 28, 2016

My flock is a little eclectic lol. Herman and his perching partner were my first two birds, I rescued them together so I'm not surprised she's picking up his habit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by