Mystery Sex Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by griswell, Sep 17, 2010.

1. griswell

griswell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    I have had so many people say one way or another...rooster or hen. I'm no closer myself after all the back and forth. One thing is certain though, she (or he) has a personality that defies all I have seen. Totally freaked out. All my others just mill about when I open the cage; she (or he) goes absolutely INSANE.

Almost five weeks old. What do you think guys, boy or girl?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I still think it is a boy. [​IMG]

3. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    pullet, the dark line down the front of the feet is a give away. Also, the pullets are white on black, the males are more "less black" more white

4. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Quote:Thank you guys, I know this is a repost but my daughter is getting attached to all the birds and I need to get rid of any extra males before it gets too painful for her to see them go. She has named all of them. *sigh*

5. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    if it was a roo it would have a comb that was more red I have a BR that is 3 weeks old and is already showing red so looks like pullett to me!!
    [​IMG]
    and here is his sister same age just a day or 2 apart AND look at the difference in their leg coloring the pullett is darker in legs
    [​IMG]

hope this helps you!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

afishel, that first one is not a BR. Looks like what you get when you cross a Buff Orp with a BR.

The first one is a pullet. Yes, her head spot is extra big, but the plumage color and the leg color and the small comb at five weeks indicate pullet.

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    At 5 weeks I say pullet too. My BR roos have big combs and wattles and very red at 5 weeks one started to crow at 6 weeks

8. griswell

Aug 19, 2010
    Phenix City
    Quote:Thank you EVERYBODY! I feel much better now. [​IMG] I just didn't want her to get attached even more to this firecracker of a chicken that was obviously male to everybody who knows how to tell. I'll leave you guys alone for a while. I have a chicken tractor to build. Need to go scavenge for scrap lumber! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is a prime example of why you can't always go by the head spot alone. Hers is much larger than most pullets'.

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    pretty sure that is a pullet, looks just like my Joon at that age. She had a pretty big comb for her age too [​IMG] [​IMG] like a kid with the biggest feet or ears in the class haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by