Mystery Sickness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by atari, Aug 9, 2010.

1. atari

atari New Egg

Aug 9, 2010
    Hey Everybody,

I have a 1 1/2 year old bantam.
    She is acting very lethargic, she wouldn't come out of the hen house to eat.
    She seemed fine yesterday and only started this behavior today.
    Her comb, in comparison to our other chickens, is very pale almost a spotty whiteness on the outside.
    I am not sure what may have caused it apart from the coup being a little dirty.
    The only thing i have done so far is pull it out of the coup and bring it inside to be out of the heat so it wouldn't have to suffer anymore.
    I fear it may die, and am just trying to ease its passing, but if anyone can help with some suggestions it would be awesome. Not really interested in taking her to the vet.
    Her poop is slightly runny but not excessively.

Thnx,
    Atari

2. tlharv

tlharv Out Of The Brooder

I wish I had an answer for you. I have an 18 mo old black sexlink with the same issue. Lethargic, doesn't eat, barely drinks, feces is green and runny. No eggs whatsoever. I've done the same as you have: separate her, keep her comfortable, and see what happens. Mine has been this way for a week now, and I really don't know what else I can do. Tomorrow I will start treating for an egg she can't pass.

3. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    can you post a picture???? also make yourself a checklist...you need to be a detective...whats changed recently, is there blood in her poo, have you
    checked her feathers and vent area for mites??? From there you can narrow your list down, and try to treat accordingly. Our area recently had
    fowl pox run rampant after a county fair, one of my birds started with the whitish spots on the comb, and then got warty looking. She came through
    it, but if it's wet pox it's not good. Take some pictures...

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Visually inspect for lice/mites. Have you wormed them? If not, I'd suggest worming all your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by