Mystery SOLVED???-UPDATE: Help me Identify this Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leasmom, Nov 12, 2008.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I had posted a picture of my tiny little egg and alot of people thought that it was just a small egg from one of my layers. I only had two layers, a Cochin and a RIR. So I felt this was an egg from another bird...the egg was tiny with a little blood on it...so I said I'd update about it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, I saw who laid the egg in the first photo on the left...it was our black and gold colored Silkie, Chili. I saw her go in the nesting box and I came out a little later and got her tiny egg...it had a little blood on it. It was in the same nesting box as the mystery egg on the right that also had a little blood on it from the other day. Its my understanding that they may only have a little blood the first time they lay, if that is the case than I may have another layer...the one that laid that mystery egg...but I am so happy that now Chili is laying her teeny eggs. The second photo has the Silkie egg, the mystery egg and a Cochin egg to the right in it.

So I have three layers for sure...the question is whether there is a fourth layer.

2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    We get tiny eggs like that from our Japanese hens, and I love to surprise guests with tiny little sunny side eggs! Thier reactions are priceless!

We often se a little bit of blood from one of our hens, but she has only been laying for about 2 weeks, and she is also our roosters main squeeze, I think there is a correlation here.... A few neighbor hood old timers have told me not to worry about it, just the 'equipment toughening up' (ouch)

Congrats and good luck!

3. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I told my daughter...I said, think about it...they're giving birth all the time...yeah definately ouch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by