Mystery solved

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I built 4 nesting boxes together. All identical side by side, but the chicken lay in the first one, and the last two, but I only ever get 1 egg if any in the second one. Couldn't figure it out, because when I put the girls to bed, they are all on the roosts.

So last night, I let my dog, Goliath, out before bed time, and he was barking up a storm. My dog is a great dane, and he never barks at anything. Seriously, I think he only barks in his sleep when he's having a dream about being a real dog. Never even lets us know if people are here.

So, I figured if he was barking, it must be serious. I go out and don't see anything, so I decide to check on the chickens. Open the coop, shine a light in there, and guess what? There's an SLW sleeping in the second nesting box. I'd kick her out if the other girls didn't pick on her so much. So I feel it's her safe place and I'll tolerate it for her sake.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I took all the dividers out of our nest boxes so it is one big nest box and they LOVE it. They can all lay in there at the same time. They used to only use one all the time, now they use the entire thing.

3. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:OK I'll bite...what's an SLW? [​IMG]

4. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    SLW=silver laced wyandotte

5. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    kinda looks like a large silver sebright...

[​IMG]

6. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:OHHH! Is that it? I thought it meant some kind of *other* type of critter. Duh! [​IMG]

Thanks for clearing it up! [​IMG]

What a beautiful bird...wow! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  7. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I have a couple of the SLW, they keep to themselves and are a bit more skittish than the others but I love them. They are so pretty. I really want a Blue Red laced Wyandotte. I think I got that right.
    I only want one, gosh, how do I go about that??

8. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    so what ur saying is if i got a box thats never layed in,its a good guess that its being slept in ....i got 4 boxes and they never lay in the bottom 2 always in the top 2

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've got 8 boxes for 12 pullets. The top left box they rarely lay in but, I have seen them sleeping in any of the bottom row of boxes. Still haven't figured out their aversion to that top left box. [​IMG]

***trouble telling left and right today. I think it's naptime-don't I wish!-it's chores time!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Very possible. I guess the one egg I get in there is from the hen that sleeps in there. Funny girls.

SLW's are very pretty, and skittish. My other girls seem to pick at there feathers though. One of my SLW's back between her wings is totally featherless.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by