1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Mystery to my vet: swollen waddle/neck area w/ high white blood count

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by austradork, Jul 13, 2010.

1. austradork

austradork In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    I've posted here a few times before to find help for my chicken, Harriet. Click here for pics. Since I last posted, I have spent countless hours on research (not to mention several hundred dollars on vet bills!) to no avail. Last week, the vet ran a blood panel (or whatever it's called) on Harriet, and her white blood cell count is through the roof. It registered at 63, and I guess 19 - 32 is considered the normal range. A few weeks back she was on Baytril. She initially responded well, but as soon as we stopped giving her the pills, her waddle/neck area swelled right back up again. She's now on Clavamox (and has been for a few days), but hasn't responded to them.

When I posted before, no one seemed to have any ideas, but I thought I try again with my new clue about the high white blood cell count. Anyone care to wager a guess? I'm plumb out of ideas.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation 9 Years

High white blood count usually indicates infection.

3. promiselandfarm5

promiselandfarm5 Songster

May 25, 2009
    Rome, GA
  4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Has the vet radiographed the head? This lovely hen might have a congenital defect that involves proper drainage of her ear canals. Or could be subluxation where her vertebrae attach to her skull. Could be airsacculitis. What a mystery! If you can find a veterinarian who has digital radiography the Dr. may be able to visualize the problem. I'm impressed you've done so much for her! Most folks think: 'it's just a chicken'. Kudos for you for insisting on proper veterinary care for your pet!

5. austradork

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:Thanks for the link! Just seeing another chicken with a swollen neck is oddly comforting. Glad your rooster turned out to be OK!

6. austradork

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:Sheesh, you must be a vet tech or something! Could improper drainage of her ear canals cause a high white blood cell count? Also, do you know HOW high a 63 count is? Harriet has another vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow for another CBC (to compare her count after having taken Clavamox for 5 days with her initial count). However, if 63 isn't super high, I'd prefer to wait until Saturday.

And yes, I was raised that you don't take in a pet (and Harriet is a pet, as opposed to dinner), if you can't afford to care for them if they get sick . . .

7. sableboi

sableboi Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Lakeland
    If she had an infection in that canal then she would in essence have an "Ear Infection" I have a Brahma Pullet I bought last weekend and her waddle under her ear swelled up - I lanced it tonight with a needle and took the blood out of it, washed it and put an Antibiotic oinment on it and started her on antibiotics. I will let you know if this helps.

8. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    what kind of vet? Call and talk to Washington State University. http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/ # 253 445 4537 and ask to talk to the vet. Its in Puyallup and this awesome Doctor is known for her knowledge of poultry. Its an hour from seattle too. Maybe she can help. It is so cheap for tests and free ideas and phone calls.
    Quote:

9. sableboi

sableboi Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Lakeland
    Just FYI - the Pullet is good, but she came down with Fowl Pox, we are dealing with that now. UCK! But the swelling subsided.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: