Mystery tracks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Rocky64, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    [​IMG]Hi, I was walking in my drive when I stumbled upon these tracks. I've seen these tracks MANY times, they sometimes go right up to my chicken cage and my pheasant aviary. I know these tracks are not cat, I've taken my cats and dogs and compared their tracks side by side to the mystery tracks. I found fresh fox tracks yesterday, and I know they are not fox. I don't think these are coyote. They are not skunk, mink, opossum, coon, or anything else I can think of that lives around here. Maybe a stray dog?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. bmmkh

bmmkh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    It's hard to tell without some kind of scale to go by. You need to take a picture with a quarter or something next to the track. If you can get a picture of the whole set of tracks that could also be helpful..

3. deaffarmer

deaffarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Better Picture showing two tracks to determine more possibilities. Please [​IMG]

4. deaffarmer

deaffarmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    measure it and compare it with the pet's tracks too

5. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It was getting dark and I think my area is getting some snow tonight, so these tracks will be gone tomorrow. I'll look for a fresh trail tomorrow, if needed. That's a quarter by the way.

6. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    There are well-pronounced claw marks, so it's unlikly to be a feline.

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    They look like domestic cat tracks. The other possibility is mink tracks. Mink move in a hopping motion. So you may should look for this type of movement along with drag marks from thr tail.

8. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    I was possibly thinking bobcat, mink wouldn't have tracks that big, even with the distortion snow can have on tracks. If it's a domestic cat, it dwarfs my 2 HUGE tom cats that regularly take adult rabbits and chase fox.

9. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    X2 on domestic cat. Claws retracted- all I see is the same cat tracks as I have around here. Spacing of the toes, shape of the pad and not a "heavy" impression like a dog, very feline. Set up a trail cam if you can:)

10. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    The tracks were set deep in the snow, and not fresh powder snow either, it's crusty snow so it must weigh more than an average cats, which don't even make tracks on that snow.(I put the cats right next to the tracks)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by