Mystery TSC chicks...need some help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Scoutmedic, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Scoutmedic

Scoutmedic Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    South-Central Texas
    I was at TSC last week and they had a few chicks left. The bins were labeled Pullet, Cornish, and Speckled Sussex. The odd thing is that they all looked alike. Now, maybe I'm wrong here, but I suspect that a few chicks got mixed around and didn't get home with the breed I was looking for. Does anybody have an idea what breed these chicks are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They are not Sussex. They might be Cornish, which is a meat bread that grows quite fast. TSC really should do a better job of labeling those bins.

3. heartbreakdiet

heartbreakdiet Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    North Stonington, CT
    Def not specked Sussex. Last year our tsc had the chicks in completely random bins, silkies were in a bin labeled "ducks" etc. super frustrating!

4. Scoutmedic

May 28, 2012
    South-Central Texas
    I didn't think they were cornish as I cannot find any pics similar to them. They might be though, I'm certainly no where near an expert. They are currently 2 weeks old.

If they are cornish and I'm not raising them for meat birds, how will they fit in to the flock?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    If they are meat birds they need a diet cause they will over eat and die. Even with a diet they can easily break legs or have heart attacks. I lost most of the meat hens that never got done for freezer camp to egg laying. They would lay an egg and die. The two roosters I had died from heart attacks. I have one hen who will be 3 come May. They all weighed around 25 pounds at just under a year old, so they can get big.

your chicks might be white rocks

6. topdycke

topdycke Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Magnolia, Texas
    These look like the chicks that we labeled as Cornish Rocks that the Tomball TX store has had - perhaps a lille older than the day-olds.

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    They are feathering in very nicely for Cornish, give them a little while and see if they turn out to be White Rocks--you'll be able to tell by how fast they grow and how thick their legs get.

8. Scoutmedic

May 28, 2012
    South-Central Texas
    Thanks so much. These chicks have probably doubled in size in the week that I've had them. Was hoping for the Sussex, but I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do with them.

Should I switch their feed to a 24% protein ration, or can they stay with chick starter at 18%? They are mixed in with some other chicks, too.

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I fed mine regular chick feed, as they where also mixed with other chicks

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they look like white rocks or white leghorns

cornish crosses would be a whole lot bigger than that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by