Mystery visitor/mystery egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chilling in muscadine, Mar 28, 2009.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    On fri. night the 20th around 10 at night we hear a horn blow from our driveway. That is the wisest thing to do when approching my house and especially at night because of my dogs. [​IMG] Anyway my SO goes out and there is a young man that said his grandfather sent him over and the man had one of the tinest chicken eggs I beleive I have ever seen. [​IMG] The egg looks smaller than a serema egg to me.

The man said his grandfather wanted me to try and hatch the egg but they had no idea what kind of chicken laid the egg. [​IMG]

Well we have no clue who the man was that dropped off the egg or who his grandfather is either nor what kind of egg I now have in my bator. [​IMG]

Of course Snakeman doesn't ask the young man who he is or who his grandfather is. Go figure right!

The egg is on day 8 and is developing which is totally cool. [​IMG]

I have quite the mystery on my hands going on here. [​IMG] I hope the little egg hatches for me. [​IMG]

2. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Is it even a chicken egg? Pictures??

good luck!

3. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Sara, don't you just love a good mystery! [​IMG] It might be a quail egg, or maybe a wild bird egg. Hope it's not a cowbird egg! [​IMG]
    What color is the egg? It might be a banty egg, [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope it's not some kind of lizard or snake egg. [​IMG]

4. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Wow, that's pretty random, don't ya think?
    Darkness of night, stranger drops off mystery egg. Makes no effort to reveal his identity, alludes to his "grandfather" and leaves the egg with unsuspecting incubators.........sounds like a mystery to me

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    will be interesting [​IMG]

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

keep us posted

7. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Its a chicken egg I do know that, a very small chicken egg.
    A snake egg is leather in texture and its to early in the year for those.

8. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Thats exactly what I thought! [​IMG]

9. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    O.K. lets say the egg hatches, I know I'm gonna like the chicken cause I like them all and I can't find the mystery man or his grandfather to get more. Hummmmm What will I do. [​IMG]

10. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    My son just came home with a goose egg they found abandoned near a pond [​IMG] My incubator is full on Day 10 with chicken eggs - I know nothing about incubating goose eggs except I saw in a thread you have to take it out every night and let it cool down for about 15 minutes and then mist it - but that might have been a duck clutch - [​IMG]

I was sorta freaking out [​IMG] so I took it to the bathroom, candled it and it was clearly just an egg - I feel bad for the goose if she was broody (is that the right term for a goose?) but not knowing anything about the egg, I let the boys do as boys love to do with an egg [​IMG]

It was very cool to candle a white shelled egg though - I have only ever candled brown eggs and they tend to be hard to see through. This shell was so transparent - very cool!

I'm gonna subscribe to your thread now - I want to see what comes out of the little mystery package [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by