Mystery white fuzzy 4-5 week old chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jynestia, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Jynestia

Jynestia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    This is a bantam from a straight run. I have *no* idea what it is. It's super soft and fluffy almost like a bunny. I thought the fluffy cotton tail it had was down that wouldn't let go, but it's growing MORE of it.

[​IMG]

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    That is a silkie. I used to raise a lot of those now I am just down to one. You can tell just by the way the feathers are. Silkies unlike other chickens have feathers the same consistency of chick down that they have in adulthood. These birds are really unique too, they have five toes on each foot, crests, muffs, beards, bluish black skin and bones, and blue/turquoise earlobes. Silkies can be very docile birds and you might find that you love them.

3. Jynestia

Mar 26, 2015
    Omgosh! Really! I wanted a silkie!! I didn't think I'd find one at tractor supply... this made my day! There are two. I shall name them violet and petunia ^_^

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is a White Silkie, and I'm leaning towards it being a cockerel (still way too young to be sure on gender, though).

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a White Silkie to me, too.

6. Jynestia

Mar 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

Edited to add the two of them together.

What makes him seem like a cockerel? I can't tell. There are two and they're exactly the same except ones a little bigger.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by