Mystery?

angcurdy

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Carriere, MS
Okay. This is so weird. All I have lost since it started getting cool is buffs. All 5 of my buff Cochins and about 10 young buff orpingtons.

I have quite a few other colors and breeds of different colors.

Any thoughts?

It isn't nearly cool enough in the south to get too cold for chickens. I'd suggest you look at the sticky in the Emergencies forum that says "read here first" and answer the questions as well as you can, to tell us more about what is happening.

How old are they, and what symptoms did they have? Coccidiosis can kill large numbers quickly. Symptoms are lethargy, diarrhea, poor appetite, ruffled feathers, and puffing up.

Last edited:
About 1.5 months. Buff orpingtons and 2 month old bantam buff Cochins. No symptoms.

That's why it's so weird. All my wyandottes, other color Cochins are just fine. Haven't lost a one.

I agree it is strange, but I would go ahead and treat for coccidiosis anyway for 5-7 days. They are at that critical age for coccidiosis. They are building up immunity right now, but if you have lost that many, I'll bet that is the cause. Corid (amprollium) dosage is 1.5 tsp powder or 2 tsp liquid Corid in a gallon of water for 5-7 days. After completion give probiotics and vitamins for a week or two. Corid is easily found in the cattle meds section of most feed stores.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom