Myth or Fact..? Help for a New Member :p

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QuackHead, Jun 26, 2008.

1. QuackHead

QuackHead New Egg

Jun 14, 2008
    Missouri
    Hello BYC!!! Thanks for letting me join. Just a lil about me and ill get on with the questions.
    My names Chas and I live on a farm in Mo. with my big sister and her family. We have over 200 ducks most are Muscovy but we have some Pekins and some runners Some Chinese white geese, Africans, and lots of chickens you name it we probably have it lol. We also raise rabbits, quail, peacocks, turkeys, and a lone egyptian goose that flew in after a tornado hit the next town west of us. we also have dogs cats horses goats and a calf named burger [​IMG]. Our goal is to grow our own meat and eggs so we dont have to give all our money to the taxman. Anyway, heres my questions.
    My sister says that baby Turkeys have to be kept off the ground untill the birds are 4 months old because they pick up diseases so easily. is this true?
    I have always heard this since i was a kid.. Thunder will kill an embryo in the incubator.. ?? Fact or foolishness?
    Anyway, I will apreciate all the help I can get with this , we have 6 baby burbons that need to be out in the yard with mamma but sis says no. THanks!![​IMG]

2. Libelle

Libelle New Egg

May 1, 2008
    Westmoreland, Tennessee
    I have also heard that thunderstorms kill eggs, but we have had a couple of doosy lightning strikes over the last several weeks and my eggs in the incubator are hatching. However, none of the eggs my guineas are sitting on have hatched yet...I have 5 clutches out there. Don't know a thing about Turkeys!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thunder will kill an embryo in the incubator.. ?? Fact or foolishness?

I seriously doubt it. Every time I incubate, we have these whopper thunderstorms. Doesn't seem to have an affect.​

4. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    We had a wicked T-storm roll through last weekend and my eggs are fine... they are in the hatcher now... and the ones that are on day 5 in the bator are all developing.

5. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I seriously doubt it. Every time I incubate, we have these whopper thunderstorms. Doesn't seem to have an affect.

That is unless the storm knocks out the power. THAT will kill an embryo right quick! LOL

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:I seriously doubt it. Every time I incubate, we have these whopper thunderstorms. Doesn't seem to have an affect.

That is unless the storm knocks out the power. THAT will kill an embryo right quick! LOL

Well, yeah! Storm is coming in here right now, in fact. I sure hope the power doesn't go out again.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    If thunderstorms kill eggs/embryos nobody in central Florida would have chickens. Its the lightning capitol of the US . I lived there for years and a friend of mine raised poultry from eggs with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by