Myth or fact: water to "cure" broodiness?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Silkie Mummy, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Silkie Mummy

Silkie Mummy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Melboure
    My Silkie is very broody, so an acquaintance of mine suggested that I dip her bottom in some lukewarm water to instantly "cure" her of being broody. It seems a bit harsh to me and I doubt that it will work, but perhaps there is some truth to it after all? Who can advise me, please? Many thanks! [​IMG]

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    I was told to submerge the whole hen in ice water to cure one of mine. I was horrified.

I was also told by a friends farmer hubby that it doesn't work anyway. Guess he'd tried it [​IMG]

3. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I tried it and it did not work...I finally decided to just let her do her thing and made sure she was eating/drinking.

4. tofumama

tofumama Chillin' With My Peeps

My silkie is rediculously broody and will sit whether there are eggs under her or not. We have a rabbit hutch with a screen bottom that I use for her when she gets broody. I put her in the cage side with food/water/treats for 2 or 3 days and that breaks the broodiness. The cool air on her nether regions does it every time [​IMG]

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are several methods to break a broody. Sometimes one will work and sometimes not. I just got through breaking one simply by taking her out of the nest 3 or 4 times a day and chasing her outside, though it took a couple of weeks. From their reputation I would say a silkie will be particularly hard to break. Personally I'd just take her to the food and water twice a day at least.

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I also see no reason to break her up. However, if you want to here is the easiest way to accomplish it:

Take her out of the nest and place her in a cage that is suspended above the ground. Keep her in the cage for at least 3 to 4 days. She should be broken up by the time you take her out: to help place her in a new pen instead of back where she was. Of course, she needs feed and water while in the cage!

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two Orpingtons that go broody and at first I tried to 'Break' them by isolating them in a cage for a day or three..but now I just let them do their thing. As long as they eat and drink (and they do come off by themselves to do that) then let them be. They are not going to lay any sooner than their 21 days anyway even if you do make them not be broody!

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I gave my broody Silkie a bath and she got so Po'ed at me she stopped...... [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

That's probably what happened to me. I just took her out of the nest 3 or 4 times a day, then chased her out of the coop. She'd growl and puff at me for several minutes sometimes. Took 2 or 3 weeks. Doesn't look like she's laying yet.

10. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I have used the "dipping method," but that was in the summer, and it wasn't ice water. I would definitely not do that in the winter.

It was marginally effective. I definitely like the cage method better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by