myth or fact?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by c is 4 cochin, Feb 12, 2012.

1. c is 4 cochin

c is 4 cochin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Ok, I am not familiar with pigeons. Someone told me that feeding uncooked rice to pigeons will cause the crop to bloat. The story I was told was, that the reason people aren't supposed to throw rice at weddings is because it will cause the crop to swell, thus harming the birds.

I am under the impression that rice on a hard surface might cause people to slip and fall. Also the mess the birds would make hanging around the areas is the real and true reason for places to ban rice throwing. I do know for fact that most restaurants have signs posted around their outdoor seating areas, asking patrons to please not feed the birds because they make a mess.

Getting back to the uncooked rice. Will it actually swell the crop and cause a blockage?

2. rags57078

rags57078 New Egg

Jan 28, 2012
    se South Dakota
    Here is what Cornell has to say
    In-case you don't know Cornell is one of the top research places in North America on birds

If birds eat uncooked rice, can it swell up in their throats and stomachs and kill them?
    Lots of birds eat uncooked rice in the wild. Bobolinks, sometimes called rice birds, are a good example. While rice is okay for birds, many wedding parties now throw bird seed instead

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    I don't believe it......... never seen it, and never want to.....

5. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have had some squeakers die because of food expanding in the crop.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    MYTH!

7. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    I believe myth too.......

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Somebody better tell the birds that clean up the rice patties this pronto. ;)

9. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

For rice to swell it needs water. Where would the water come from? And whatever happened to all the dead pigeons that should have been laying around the entrance to churches?

It's a myth.

10. braindead101

braindead101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Midwest.
    It isn't that they can't eat the rice as much as the abundance of it at a wedding. The birds tend to eat so much of it that when they do get water it CAN cause a problem, not that it will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by