myths for sexing ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Apr 18, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    There are myths for sexing chicks, and just wondering if there are some for ducks. obviously, i won't rely on them, but just to get an idea of what my babies are (once they hatch.)

2. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Hmm... I don't know that there are any myths per se. Not that I have heard anyway. The few duck breeds that are sex-linked can be sexed as day olds as can Welsh Harlequins (by beak color). Those are about the only ones I can think of. Most have to be vent sexed. Once they begin to mature, you can sex them by either coloration, sound, or drake feather. A lot of people go by "quacking" sound. To be honest though, it is really hard for me to tell the difference by voice sometimes and I have had dozens of ducks. Either I am tone deaf or a lot of individuals blur the line.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    well i guess they are more like wife's tales. like laying a chick on its back and how it reacts is normally based on its sex. and throwing something over them and the females will hide and the males will look up at it. would those work for ducks? or are there different ones for ducks? they are going to be pekins so no sex-links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by