myxomatosis

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animaljamlol28, Jul 2, 2016.

1. animaljamlol28

animaljamlol28 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    my mum fed me one of my rabbits for dinner yesterday. she told me at the dinner table. it was my rabbit that had myxomatosis. will i get sick? i am feeling pretty queasy.

2. chickenslave2

chickenslave2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    I shouldn't think it should affect humans in any way. It is a disease made for rabbits and only rabbits. I heard somewhere that if you are persuaded you are sick then you will feel sick. Hope you're not sick

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I thought you had a rabbit with VHD? Is this the same rabbit?

Either way, there is no danger to you, just your other rabbits. Both diseases are caused by viruses that only infect rabbits, though they can be carried on clothing or other articles and in that way spread by people to other rabbits.

4. animaljamlol28

Jun 28, 2016
    No , it was caused by Lola who apparently got it from Henderson which is the one with VHD[​IMG] this is me and Lola

5. Bunnylady

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Sorry about your rabbit - it's never fun to eat something you thought of as your friend.

6. animaljamlol28

Jun 28, 2016
    I didnt think my mum was that mean

7. Bunnylady

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't know your mum, but I don't think she meant to be mean. She may have just been practical. The rabbit was sick, with an illness that was a serious threat to the other rabbits, so it had to be gotten rid of before it infected the other rabbits. The illness is no threat to people, and people eat rabbits all the time, so she figured to try to get some use out of the rabbit and not make its death a complete waste. She probably wasn't as fond of the rabbit as you were.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by