N.Cal smoke causing egg reduction?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lizardz, Jun 27, 2008.

1. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I'm in that lovely area of California (okay, most of CA is this way right now) that is buried under a pall of smoke from all the wildfires. Not in any danger, other than the inhaled smoke particles (where's the coughing emocon?)

Anyway, I've noticed that my hens are not laying as well as they typically do - I have 7 layers and typically get 5-7 eggs a day; for the last few days I've gotten 2-3, and I'm wondering if all this smoke has anything to do with it. Thought I'd ask other N.Cal people if they have noticed anything. So, are your hens still doing their thing or have they slowed down, too?

Hope everyone is safe from the fires and being cautious about being in all this smoke. It's so smokey that I can hardly see the trees on the hill across from us (probably less than 500 yards away). Yuk - I am ready to have this all gone.

Liz

2. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi lizards! I'm in Browns Valley, just below you and my 22 hens have slowed to about 12 to 14 eggs a day. I usually get 18 to 21! I didn't think about it being the smoke!

Seem to be getting a little bit of a breeze today. It's not quite as thick as it has been.

3. lizardz

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Hi Mulemom, I know where Brown's Valley is! That's a pretty significant drop in production. So, what do you think? Is it the smoke or might there be some other changes that are making them lay less? My girls don't look like they're moulting or anything and it hasn't been that hot, so the only thing I can think of is all the smoke. I wonder if they think it's winter (foggy) and so are slowing down or if the actual smoke has distressed them. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Liz

4. xanaxnation

xanaxnation Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    im in sac but my girls arent old enough to be laying yet anyways. i was thinking.. maybe the smoke dims it enough for them to think theres less light. ive read on the board from various other people that in the shorter winter days if you add a light source it can help them keep up near-summer time laying quantities.

perhaps thats a similar issue with yours? all the smoke has made a noticeable difference in the light quality, even in sac. my girls are stumbling out of bed about an hour later then they were last week. the only *good* thing to come out of it all is the lower temps then normal for this time.

hope everyone is staying as safe as possible. best wishes folks!

5. lizardz

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    xanaxnation - I was thinking the same thing - with all the smoke cover the light isn't as strong so maybe they think it's winter. I'm hoping it's that and not that the smoke is harming them, although it probably is. Nothing I can do about that, unfortunately. Hubby refuses to let them sleep in the house. [​IMG]
    Liz

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Put a little question about egg prodution the other day. This smoke has to be the cause. I am right across the cayon from the fires in Foresthill. Hope they get them out soon. The last time they stopped the fire at my property line. Not a fun thing to watch the fire coming at your house. I know it is bad over there because the wild life is headed this way.

7. lizardz

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    panner - How scary to have fires so close. We've had that happen before - we weren't on mandatory evacuation, but with so many animals to organize, didn't want to wait til the last minute, so headed out anyway. They stopped it about two lots away from ours (approx. 40 acre lots). Now I'm always paranoid this time of year. I'll be sending "fire going out" thoughts your way. Hope you and yours will be safe.
    Liz

8. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I would say definitely. I am in Petaluma, CA and have had a decrease in egg production due to the smoke. I usually get about 14-15 eggs a day but for the last week only 11-12 a day.

The girls also seem a bit edgy and my usually fairly quiet and gentle flock have taken to loud screaming at the sight of a quail or bunny in their view.
    I guess it is possible that they may be picking up my stress with all the smoke.....my dogs can tune into me, I didn't think my chickens could, but I bet they can and do.

Fortunately, yesterday and today are less smoky and some of the fires around here have been contained. Now if the girls would just settle down.
    Anne

9. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    My girls seem stressed too. The are really complaining a lot more then ususal. I don't think it's the light, because even a nightlight on a timer for 14 hours a day in the coop will keep them laying right thru the winter. It has to be the stress and their breathing has to be effected some.

Less ugly here today then the last few so hopefully we're on our way out of this!

10. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    I'm just down the hill from you and it's much nicer here today than yesterday. I was coughing a lot from it. It has helped keep the temps down a bit though. I can't believe the county is going to allow the fireworks to go ahead here in Oroville and in Gridley. As if the fire hasn't made it hard enough to breathe.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by