N. California: Rescued chickens need a home

my three chickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 13, 2008
This was emailed to me earlier today:

Marin Humane Society saves 140 hens from California factory farm
Cage free at last: Hundreds of hens spared from slaughter
(NOVATO, CALIF., December 8, 2008) — 140 hens – just days away from slaughter – arrived at the Marin Humane Society this weekend from a Northern California egg production facility. More than 500 hens in total were brought to area humane organizations where they will be placed for adoption as pets and egg layers.

“Every year more than 250 million hens are slaughtered at 2 years of age because their egg production no longer supports the bottom line,” said Suzanne Golt, executive director of the Marin Humane Society. “We’re happy to be able to provide these 140 hens, who have lived in cramped cages their entire short lives, the opportunity to spread their wings and enjoy a dust bath for the first time.”

Last month, California voters overwhelmingly voted to pass Proposition 2. Prop 2 requires that certain animals raised for food, including egg laying hens, be provided with enough space to stand up, turn around and extend their limbs. The California Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act goes into effect in January of 2015, giving factory farms six years to shift to different housing systems.

The Marin Humane Society is hoping to find homes for the hens before the holidays. If you are interested in adopting a hen(s), please call 415.506.6225.Along with the Marin Humane Society, the hens have been placed for adoption with Animal Place in Vacaville and the Humane Society & SPCA of Sonoma County.

Beautiful, hope they all get forever homes. Wish I could take some but I am too too far away. Great rescue, thank you from the chickens.

I called MHS this morning and the hens are doing well - they are starting to get used to walking around the barn that they are being kept in. Some of the hens are too nervous to leave their enclosures, but it'll just take some time. They are eating & drinking and scratching and learning to do all of the things that our backyard girls do every day! I am planning to leave work early tomorrow to drive up and adopt a few of these gals.
smile.png

I hope that people can recognize that these birds are not "damaged"--well, not irreparably so. I remember being at a friend's farm on the day that he had 500 laying hens delivered from an egg factory. They were in REALLY bad shape--some with no feathers at all--so I was shocked to see that in six weeks they had transformed into regular, healthy, sociable chickens. Granted, they were much younger than the Humane Society rescues, but I think with enough time and care, probably most hens can return to a natural state. But I bet these ones in the barn look terrible...

Back
Top Bottom