N eed design ideas..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lurisme, Oct 3, 2012.

1. lurisme

lurisme New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    AK
    I'm wanting to make my coop out of pallets. I want to know what design ideas you all had what works what doesn't little tricks you learned along the way. I have a pretty good chicken communtiy around here but I'd like to hear what you've done also.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    Try to really plan ahead. (as you are doing now)

See if you can standardize as many parts as possible. That way you can learn on the first one, then save time doing the same thing again and again faster each time. My first roost took me about 4 hours, the second about 2.

The most important thing is the easiest:
    Measure 2 times cut once. Try to have a plan written down, and if you dont have a good plan then do what I did:

Build a part, then mark the holes on the matching part. Dont try to piece things together by "guess-ta-measuring" sure you can get away with some of it on wood, but when I tied in some key components it didnt work well.

What works the best for me is taking the little time I have on weekdays and thinking about how to put stuff together. Draw pictures and line up uncut boards. Then on the weekend when there is real time go at it full tilt and build as much as possible.

You'll have time to learn as you go when you do that. Because no matter how good your plans are something always gets in the way.

Good luck!
    (probably just a bunch of babble, but maybe something can help.)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    These are my 2 coops I made out of mostly pallets, some scrape wood, and some new wood.

This one is our Turkey coop fpr Our Bourbon Reds
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/686677/the-start-of-our-turkey-palace-house-updated-pics

This one is small and I made it as a temperary house for our BBW turkeys. Now that our BBWs are in the freezer I decided I needed more chickens so I am going to modify this house and add an addition on to it and add an exterior nest box. I have new chicks in the brooder so I need to get my butt in gear. I will be using pallets and other types of wood to finish it.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/675310/need-help-with-turkey-housing-a-few-updated-pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by