n00b - What in the world do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Merro, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Merro

Merro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    I got some mixes from a person off the CL, since hatching our own eggs turned up only one viable baby (the man in town must have inbred his chicks, since the ones that hatched died shortly and had really bad feet) So after running 100 miles to get the only baby chicks available... All I know is that some are easter egger mixed, but they also said their adults were EE, barred rock and orpington, and others that I have forgotten.

They're between 7-8 weeks or so now. Gonna be moving outside as soon as the weather clears.

So. Pictures! I'll have their names up to keep track. Any guesses on breeds / genders would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    This is Chicken Boo. We think he's a roo. Know he is part EE.

[​IMG]
    This is Ollie Williams. We're hoping her and her "brother" Chef are hens! EE / ?

[​IMG]
    Chef. EE / ?

[​IMG]
    Ra. Buff Orp mixed? Hoping for hen.

[​IMG]
    The dark orange in the middle is not named, but along with Chicken Boo grew a comb first. We're assuming Roo and Orp mixed..

[​IMG]
    This is the little baby that hatched. She had swollen feet and walking issues for the first two weeks and is about a week /nhalf younger than the others. We did the feather tip sexing, not sure if that's accurate on EE's. We've been assuming hen nonetheless. She's Little Foot, and pure EE for sure.

Any opinions?
    Here's random more photos at different ages:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  2. AnimalLover99

AnimalLover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Just a few guesses on gender:
    Boy
    Girl
    Girl
    Girl
    Boy
    Girl

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you're right, boo and dark orange are roos. Boo is probably ee and barred, looks like he'll be quite the looker! If you keep him I'd love to see pics at four months or so.
    Ollie and Chef look like ee pullets. Ra looks like a pullet and more like a red or partridge color than buff.

4. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    They are so cute! I love Little Foot!

5. Merro

Merro Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    Thanks guys! That's really good to hear that I'm not a terrible guess, but those combs are pretty dang obvious..

If Ra turns out half as pretty as the "partridge" hens on google, I will be a happy little chickie. :D I had not heard that color before, quite suiting.

And we're definitely gonna be keeping Chicken Boo! I will keep up with pictures, he is just such a weird looking guy. I cannot wait until he feathers out. I can't seem to find good pictures of chicken mixes, so we've been in the dark and surprised when he popped up one day with brown feathers. He was just a little gray blob with a yellow spot on his head.

We were surprised enough with our little yellow chicky Little Foot turning such a snow white. All the other little babies I had of "plain" /orange/ turned into my beautiful Red Sex Links with much better markings than those I'd seen. So she was a little pretty surprise. She has bright pink barbs to her feathers. We keep thinking she's been pecked on the back, but it's just the bright color. So weird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by