N44b Hen Wrangler needs solid advice.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tokie, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Tokie

Tokie New Egg

Sep 27, 2012
    HELP ! I have room for 4 to 6 Hens in a pen I am constructing behind my Garage.
    Years ago at my Aunt Ruthie's, ( God rest Her Soul ) She used to serve up a morning breakfast like never before seen, and the Eggs were a medium to dark-ish Brown, and just about every other Egg had a Double Yolk in it. The "flavor and texture" of Her eggs is a memory that will never fade.
    Now I live down South, (actually N-E Tennessee, which IS way Down South compared to the Metro Detroit Area of Michigan) and I CAN have Chickens as either Pets or Egg / Meat Producers, as long as I do not sell anything for Profit.
    I'm currently constructing a Pen on the North / back side of our Cinder block Garage with a pen sixe of 5W x 6H x 14L with their coop enclosed inside the Chicken Wire Pen for their own safety in the evenings, when they are not roaming our 75' x 150' Fenced in Yard here in Kingsport, Tennessee.
    My neighbor feeds His Chickens Pedigree Dog Food and Chicken Feed in a 50-50 ratio.
    Why ? Who knows...but He's got Bantams that seem to THROW eggs out as soon as the sun rises, and others that lay "odd Pastel Colored Eggs...but me ? ...I want Huge Brown Eggs every morning for Breakfast...not these tasteless white things with fragile shells. I want Brown Shells that you use the spatula to crack' em open with 'cause the shells are almost too darned hard to hit on the cast iron skillet for fear of breaking it !
    Aunt Ruthie's Brown Eggs were SO hard, that IF you got hit with one, it would leave a bruise on you !!!
    ...and that's what I want, HUGE Double Yolker's with Shells like Cement.

Who know's what Chicken would best be suited for the job at hand ? ...any suggestions ?

Respectfully,
    Tokie

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Rhode Island Reds have nice big brown egg as well as orpingtons( white or Buff). Orpington also make excellent winter layers. As far as hard shells give them lot of calium in their diet and that will help make them nice and hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by