Nail & beak trimming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Clark Fowl Fans, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Clark Fowl Fans

Clark Fowl Fans Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    I've only had my 5 BO hens since April, but I remember reading something about possibly needing to trim their nails and/or beaks? Is this true?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Not at all. That may be standard practice where birds are intensively raised, but a backyard chicken should have sufficient space (thus opportunity to exhibit their natural behaviours) to make both unnecessary.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Partly true and partly not. If your chickens scratch in their run area, the nails should wear away gradually so no trimming needed. The beak never needs trimming unless it is a deformed one growing crooked. Some peeps trim the top portion of aggressive rooster beaks to prevent them doing injury to other chickens. If the bottom portion would get trimmed, then chicken would have much difficulty trying to drink water. I sometimes do trim my chickens toe nails after they winter over inside garage and do not free range. There is nothing sufficient to scratch on in garage, so nails do grow out some. Be careful not to clip nails too much. Bleeding can occur if you cut too short.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Chickens, if allowed to scratch in dirt and run around..Do not need their nails trimmed..I have Bricks and Rocks in my run for my Birds to hone their beaks on...None of my birds ever get a hook on their beaks...

Cheers!

5. Clark Fowl Fans

Clark Fowl Fans Just Hatched

Sep 19, 2016
    Thanks to you all! Very helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by