Nail board

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by duckking, Nov 7, 2010.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I set up a piece of ply wood filled with nails to stop a bobcat from standing in front of my coop. Will this work???[​IMG]:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Seems a bit extreme to me. You or someone else could step on it by accident. I would just get a live trap and trap it out....just my two cents.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I agree. Pets or kids could step on it as well. More pros to trapping than nails I would say.

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    we have a covered run but my DH did the same on the top where he knows something could easily climb up, we got lots of predators in my area. Anyhow its 6 ft up and above my head so I know we aren't going to get hurt by it, its also screwed down.

lets just say a month ago it certainly stopped the bobcat who tried to climb up. my dogs also helped too, with all their barking

5. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    oh ya I just re read that, and I have to agree in front of the coop is a bad idea....My Dh left a piece of wood out by the run and it had a couple nails in it. I didn't see it stepped down on it and one of the nails went right through my brand new sneaker. the only thing that stopped it from going into my foot was the insoles I had just put in there. as I said mine is in just one area above the run, completely secured so it cannot be moved, where neither I nor the kids can reach it.

6. VERN

VERN Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Wonder how effective an electric fence for cattle would be? You would have to run a ground wire with the hot wire side by side on the roof. During the day turn it off, but at night flip the switch on. Don't think he would like to mess with something that keeps biting him every time he touches it. Just something to might consider.

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Pet fence box would work too. I use one around my run just to ensure coons don't come in. I have two labradors and both have been bitten enough that they want nothing to do with our chickens. Another pro with the pet Fe.ce is they are still fairly cheap.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by