Nail Caps For Peafowl?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Cindysid, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Cindysid

Cindysid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    I was just wondering if anyone had tried the soft nail caps designed for dogs and cats on peafowl? I have heard the horror stories about neighbor's cars being damaged and I was wondering if this would work? How crazy am I for wanting to try?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If they can get them off they'll eat them.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  3. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    In any case, it seems very unlikely that something designed for this:

[​IMG]

Would work on something like this:

[​IMG]

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Just a little [​IMG]

your pea would still get the blame for the scratches if someone wanted to make a fuss, besides what judge would believe such a story [​IMG]
    But your honer i put nail caps on him [​IMG]

If you got to worry about such things better pen them up [​IMG]

5. Cindysid

Cindysid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    They have them for dog claws also which are a little more similar to peas than a cat. You're probably right Zaz. My neighbors love my birds, and so far there hasn't been a problem, but I am already working on designing a large pen for them. I am with my birds nearly all day, but they are occasionally unsupervised, and I just want to make sure they remain welcome in the neighborhood.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    The dirt on the peas feet do more damage than their claws
    around here, i got sand everywhere [​IMG]

Take it from someone that did paint and body work on autos for years a paint job on a new or even old car isn't cheap and if it is an older car you will be paying for scratches your bird didn't even do cause when you got to fix paint you do not just paint that spot as it will not match, they will have to do what is called a blend where they have to fade the new paint into the old to make it match and i talking up in the thousands if it has to be done on the entire top side.and if they scratch the top of the fenders then you are talking about the sides being painted also, in the end you could be paying to paint the entire car.

I am not trying to discourage you , free ranging is wonderful but it only takes one person to complain and file a suit on you to absolutely ruin your day[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by