Nail Care

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TyWilk18, Dec 1, 2013.

1. TyWilk18

TyWilk18 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Some of my hens have some pretty long toenails so I need to cut them down or let them be?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If they are long enough where they give the chicken problems or they aren't using the foot normally, I would trim them. How long are they, and do you know why they are not wearing them down? Usually chickens will keep their nails trimmed themselves via scratching around in the run/dirt, unless they have a problem with the toe or foot, or they are on a surface where they can't wear them down like wire or deep litter in the winter sometimes.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    There are sometimes a few that may need a trim now and then. I use a pair of medium size dog nail clippers. I then use a nail file to round the edges.Take small bits off at a time to avoid hitting the quick. It is always good to have some blood stop powder at your side before clipping. You can even give a good quality soluble powder vitamin in the waterers, with a substantial amount of vitamin K, a day or two before clipping.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. X2 I had to trim one of my hen's nails once, she was having trouble walking. I had rescued her from the side of the street, poor girl. But now I have advice it's REALLY easy to make them bleed!
    Good Luck!

5. I agree with this too!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What does the vitamin K do for them?

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It helps prevent excessive bleeding by helping in the creation of proteins to coagulate blood. It also helps form metabolic pathways in tissue and bone. Kale is a good example of a leafy green with a good amount of vitamin k, among other nutrients.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by