Nail Clippers on Pullet Beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by got2bskilled, May 15, 2009.

1. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Howdie-

I have a pullet with an upper beak that is hooked. Her mouth closes sideways... and I think it is effecting the way she eats now.

Do you think it would hurt her if I clip a small bit with nail clippers? I am not too sure how to know know where the quik is...

any suggestions would be a blessing!

Thanks~ :)

2. got2bskilled

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    ANY ADVICE AT ALL [​IMG] ........

3. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Well, im not sure about where the quick in the beak is, but i have a blind rooster that had an overgrown beak & he got his beak caught in the wiring of the coop during a rooster fight (thats how he went blind). In the process of removing his beak out of the wire, he flared around & his beak actually broke a little. It bled a tiny bit, but it didnt stop him from eating or anything. I would say that it wouldnt hurt her too much. If anything, it would probably help her. Just be sure to not go up unreasonably far. Good luck & keep us posted on her condition !!

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

if you have access to a dremel or rotary tool, try using a sanding belt on it. Take off a TINY bit, don't hold the tool against the beak for very long because it WILL get hot and hurt the chick and damage the beak. This would give you better control than clippers, IMO. (At least that's how I do the cockatiels' toenails, and my friend who's a wildlife rehabber and mobile bird groomer does this with overgrown beaks on the bigger birds). If I HAD to do anything to it at all, I'd try the rotary tool instead of clippers. The clippers would add more pressure to the beak as you squeeze them closed, too. Just a suggestion...

5. got2bskilled

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you! I will give it a clip in th morning and post the results. I am sorry about the blind rooster. Very sad indeed.

6. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:Perfect info![​IMG]

7. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    Good luck with it & no need to be sorry about the blind rooster lol - he is now almost 7 years old & lives with a fellow blind rooster. They are happy as anything !!

Heres "Ray"

[​IMG]

& his partner Stevie

[​IMG]

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:Perfect info![​IMG]

Thank you! At least I've gotten something right when it comes to these critters... *looking for the "blushing" smilie...*

9. mrszlopez

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    i agree - your answer was way better than mine lol i figured id just share my story & hopefully others can benefit ? lol [​IMG]

10. got2bskilled

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Well my dear KooKoo is looking much better this morning! I think her whole upper beak is growing crooked though.... so I am not sure how long this will last. Might have to do this again.

Here is my beloved KooKoo (Lakenvelder Splashed Pullet). Her name is Koo Koo because she goes bonkers around people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crtlover- Thanks so much for the good info. I Wish I had a dremel... but I dd make sure I used the sharpest pair of clippers... and I did clip fast. Now dremel is on my list of things to pick up from the exchange ~ I think this will be part of my usual bird maintance.

Mrszlopez- that is one cute pair of blind roosters! :) The blind leading the blind~ I am glad to hear they are happy and are living well. And that is a good story to learn from- now I know how trimming a hooked beak is extremely important to keep up with. Thank you! Adorable little guys you have!

I can always count on the BYCers~ Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by