NAIS and Buying From Major Hatcheries

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Yanna, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Hi there,

I'm wondering if receipt of chicks or fertile eggs from major hatcheries means that any birds ordered have RFIDs and our addresses are then put on file with NAIS?

Does anyone know about this?

Thanks.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is how many were INvoluntarily registered with NAIS in the first place. Of course, they track those things. And I'm not getting into a debate with anyone about NAIS today, but yes, even feedstores keep records of their customers, some more than others. All sorts of ways to get "on the radar". Including monitoring chicken forums, I'd say.

3. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    IMHO Big Bro is EVERYWHERE.

I have no doubts that "I" have been being kept an eye on for years now. With my involvement with horses.. on a military base no less:rolleyes: and now chickens. LOL I have a thick file.

4. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    McMurray hatchery has spoken out against NAIS from what I've heard, and that makes me breathe a little easier!!! I don't know if my chicks are RFID'd, but it's nice to know they came from a hatchery that doesn't like NAIS!!!

5. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I got our chicks from the local feed store. They didn't take any personal info... only first name to order the chicks. The other one across town was the same way.

I'd never thought about that w/ ordering from a hatchery though!

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would think at the present time it is of no concern. They are overwhelmed with the project, and isn't a big deal anyway.

The worst thing to happen is that they know where you and the flock resides....so what, who cares?

Folks freaking about nais isn't worth my free time....I've been registered for 3years, hasen't cost me a dime or a chicken?

I only worry about things I can control, and never have to look over my shoulder, for any reason...and I won't run scared if someone trys to take my flock!

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by