Naive about chicken swaps

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
14 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I went to the Kentucky State Fair today (mostly to take a look at the birds being shown), and they had an entire section of sale/swap. I guess many BYC folks have been to swaps, but (other than last years Indiana Chickenstock) this was my first. It blew me away, and not in a good way.
I've never seen so many ill kept and poorly looking chickens!
sad.png
Yes, there were some healthy looking birds there, some that had clean bedding (we got there around 9:30 am) and space. But my Gosh!! There were SO many pens that had birds just crammed in there, barely room to turn around, birds that had wounds on them (from pecking maybe?), birds with horrible bare spots and/or filthy feathers. DH looked more disturbed than I felt - and we left that area before looking at all the birds. I know to some people they're "just chickens," but they're still living creatures!! Even from simply a sales position - it seems to me you'd want your "product" to look appealing
hu.gif

I hope most swaps aren't like THAT...
hit.gif
How depressing!

I've had similar experiences, too. Just horrible conditions which turned me off. Probably one of the reasons my hubby gifted me my flock-although I'm sure hatcheries can be awful, too.

It depends on what kind of swap you go too. Also what birds are there. Birds that are worth more tend to be kept better. The worst conditions to me are chicken auctions. I have seen pens that i would put a single hen in and it would have 5 rooster piled on top of each other with no water. Sometimes birds die before they can ever be auctioned off.
I do not buy from auctions any more simply because most of the chickens in it are poorly kept and are unhealthy. Just had a bird die today that i got from an auction last month. No idea what was wrong with it. Found dead in the nesting box this morning. Hope it isnt anything contagious to my birds
sad.png

I got my first birds from a swap. There is a guy near me who shows. He has 2 very large swaps per year. I got 6 very nice hens and a pair of peafowl from this swap.
I am sure they are all different depending on where you go.
Pictures of some of the birds are on my BYC second page.

I don't understand why people do this to chickens, and if you tell them something, they say "there just chickens," but if you have a dog or cat living in the same conditions, you'll get arrested

I agree about the chicken auctions. I'm in Central Ohio and the one that I go to is run by the Amish. The poultry auction isn't until 1PM and most birds get there in the morning. They never have water and are panting and crowded. I know you're not supposed to buy an animal out of pity, but sometimes I can't help myself.

Back
Top Bottom