Naked Bellied Broody in a New England Winter URGH!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joneus, Dec 15, 2011.

1. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    My pullet, Matilda, has decided that the middle of December is the time to go broody. I've basically been keeping her in a crate until the others lay their eggs (she wont let them into the adjoining nest boxes) and then let her brood her invisible eggs, figuring she'll snap out of it on her own when she's ready.

I wasnt counting on the completely naked belly that she plucked for herself. [​IMG]

SO- given that I live in Connecticut, and its December (with a frigid cold snap about a month away), what do I do? I can try to break her of the broodiness, but if I'm successful then she'll be running around with a naked belly until her feathers come back in (how long does that take, BTW?)... in January. Wont she freeze? Will I have to bring her in? I dont particularly want to do that, but I can if I have to... and if it comes to that, I may as well get her some eggs to sit on.

*sigh* silly bird!

2. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    i had the same problem. gundel went broody in the middle of october and no matter how much i tried breaking her, she wouldn´t stop sitting in the nesting box naked bellied. i tried ice cubes, too but it didn´t help. so i got her 4 eggs from a local farm and now i have three 11 day old ameraucana chicks. they are doing fine and mama takes them under her wings when it gets too cold. i live in ct, too.

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Perhaps in the UK, they have better chicken products....or perhaps, there is an equivalent to this in the USA??

I saw this product which is a heating pad that you microwave....
    https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.p...name=Snugglesafe+Microwave+Heatpad+with+Cover

Here is the blurb:
    "Snugglesafe Microwave Heatpad with Cover
    4.5 Out of 5 Stars (10 reviews)
    Chilly nights can be a worry for pet owners. Although the likelihood is that your chickens, rabbits and guinea pigs will be as-snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug in their eglu during cold nights, you may want some eggstra reassurance to give you peace of mind. This snugglesafe heatpad can provide your pets with warm, cushiony comfort wherever and whenever they might need it. Simply microwave the pad for a few minutes and it will provide up to 10 hours of warmth, perfect for lasting the night. Also ideal for newborn, elderly or poorly pets.

Approx 20cm in diameter.

20 in stock

£22.99 Inc. VAT"

so, you put it in the microwave, and it stays warm for 10-hours.

When I thought my prize hen may go broody over the winter, I was considering this... My sister-in-law once made things like "bean bags" from flannel squares. Inside was kernels of corn used for filling. About 1 foot by 1/2 foot. It went in the microwave for 1-minute or so, and came out smelling like fresh corn. The idea was to apply heat to your neck, shoulders. If there was a product that you could heat...you could have her 'hatch' that out...when the cold comes.

4. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    Okay- so, she seems to be over the broodiness this morning (thankfully!), but I'm still concerned about the exposed belly. You cant see it when she's standing up & running around- will she be alright until her feathers grow back? Or should I find a heated something or other to keep her warm at night? Would that make it more likely that she'd go broody again?

THANKS so much for your help!!!

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Chickens have been doing this in winter forever so I don't think you need to worry about her, My guess is she will be just fine and if her belly gets cold she will sit down to keep it warm. I have bantams and currently have 4 broodies in the coop, 2 are frizzled and one has been broody for 3 months now. They do eventually give up but some of my girls take quite some time... I live in MN and it gets reallllll cold here. I make no special accomodations for my naked bellied hens. I do provide a heat lamp in the coop for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by