naked bellies, no mites. Molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newhenstein castle, Aug 4, 2010.

1. newhenstein castle

newhenstein castle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    My Australorp has been laying soft shelled eggs for 2 months now. This morning I found this in the coop!

[​IMG]

What do you make of this???? It looks like stringy eggwhite mixed with droppings. Did an egg crack inside her? She is just standing there in drizzling rain, lethargically not making a move when I approach her. She closes her eyes standing up. I watched her for a while and saw her shiver on her back end.

[​IMG]

I am learning how to kill a chicken right now. So if anyone has a quick answer and treatment please let me know. I don't want her to suffer so I will do what is necessary. I will NOT pay to see the vet, heartless as it might seem. But my husband and I agree that the birds will be held for food purposes. Too bad I love this one.

Please help. I'll stay online.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Maybe internal layer???

3. newhenstein castle

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    That's what I thought. I am doing research as we speak. How bad do you think this is?

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is the brown stuff in the pic part of what came out?

5. newhenstein castle

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    Quote:yes, it is poo. Looks like there is undigested grass in it.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
  7. newhenstein castle

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    Quote:thanks, I bookmarked it. our poop is not in it. I am pretty sure it is egg though. I guess I could take some and heat it up to know for sure....

8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    It sounds as though something is certainly causing her distress. Have you tried a warm bath? Putting warm water in a 5 gallon bucket, (in the tub works great) or in a storage tote, and just supporting her in there for a half hour or so to help relax the muscles might allow her to pass pieces of eggshell if you think that's what it is. You might also want to do a digital exam---I used slightly warmed olive oil as a lubricant, and since my fingers are a little larger, I used my pinky. That may help you figure out if anything is there. Be very careful if you do this. Having ACV in the water may help boost her a little, and giving her scrambled or mashed hardboiled egg with plain yogurt and a little applesauce may help her as well. Good luck with your girl. I am going through a similar situation with my Twiggy (Welsummer). She lays the prettiest eggs, but has not laid in some time, and we at first thought it was broodiness, as she just wanted to sit on the nest, but as time has gone on, I am convinced it is internal laying.

9. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    If an egg broke inside her she needs antibiotics and will suffer until infection is abated. If internally laying, still needs antibiotics - and likely antiinflammatories, both of which may buy her some quality time...problem may down the road reassert itself.

Since you have ruled out a vet, a more economical alternative may be contacting Peter Brown at First State Veterinary Supply (google and it will come up). For a nominal fee he can provide advice and ship the right meds. But I think you have to act very quickly - she is in a bad way.

In the meantime give her 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins (without iron) daily to try to keep her strength up. Also make sure she stays hydrated.

This girl looks like she really very badly needs something for pain as well. I would be inclined to give her aspirin water (1 baby aspirin per cup of water). Downside is that if she has internal bleeding froma broken shell then aspirin isn't good because it's a blood thinner. If an antiinflammatory like Metacam is obtained, this can take the place of the aspirin. A drop or two of Rescue Remedy in water couldn't hurt - may provide her a bit of stress relief.

What is her diet? Does she have oyster shell available at all times?

JJ (aka jjthink most of the time)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  10. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Is the clear fluid the consistancy of egg white? Drop some in some boiling water and see if it coagulates.

How hot is it where you are? Often the poo can be very watery when they are drinking loads of water and not eating much. Could she have heat stress?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by