Naked butt on 1week Brahma Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DenverChickFam, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DenverChickFam

DenverChickFam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Hi! I am BRAND new to raising chicks. (Not even 24 hours in!!) We just got 3 week-old chicks from a local feed store, and our Buff Brahma has a naked butt. I've been searching everywhere and trying to figure out if this is normal. She doesn't seem to have pasty butt, other than there's a tiny brown fleck right on the top of the vent that I can't get off with warm water. She is pooping fine... I think. Every time I have seen her it comes fully out and looks like the "normal" poo pics I've seen. She seems healthy and is eating/drinking well. Attaching a pic so you can see what I mean by naked butt!

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's dog-eat-dog, 'er, chick-eat-chick in those feed store chick brooder tanks. overcrowding, stress, etc, causes some to pick the down off their neighbors. It's doubtful you have a felon in your little bunch, so don't worry about it continuing, and the feathers grow back in.

I've had Buff Brahmas, and it's a good choice. They are a delightful breed, very loveable.

3. DenverChickFam

Mar 19, 2015
    Thank you so much! I was wondering if she had been plucked or bullied. It looks like the three little girls we have now have begun to bond. A tad bit of pecking here and there, but they seem to get along well so far! I will watch for her little booty to fluff back up :)

Do you think the brown scab/poo looks troublesome? I can't seem to get it off and don't want to hurt her!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Take a cotton ball soaked in olive oil and hold it against the brown crust to soften it, then gently wipe it clean with another oil soaked cotton ball. It's important to keep the vent clean of crust buildup because tiny new chicks haven't the strength to blast new poop past a scabby clog and can quickly get constipated. It's call pasty butt.

5. DenverChickFam

Mar 19, 2015
    Thank you!! I will try that with the oil and cotton ball.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by