Naked Butts...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by linseylew4409, Dec 15, 2012.

1. linseylew4409

linseylew4409 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    They've been missing butt feathers for months now. I'm pretty sure I've got a feather eater on my hands, but I haven't found the culprit. I've put pinless peepers on who I thought was doing the plucking and supplemented their food with protein. It's not working... I suppose they are bound to have naked booties...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheSpeckledRoo

TheSpeckledRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Is it just the butt area? Or is this on the back as well? Do you happen to have a rooster?

3. PeppGirls

PeppGirls New Egg

Mar 9, 2012
    OMG...one of my ladies has the same problem (only her bum)! I've checked her for mites, but can't seem to find anything. Tried BOSS, which she eats, but it doesn't seem to be helping her. My other 5 hens are fine [​IMG]

4. phoenix11

phoenix11 New Egg

Dec 15, 2012
    Take a look at the long thread called "Bald Butt and Swollen Below Vent." It doesn't offer much for answers, but a lot of people have the same thing going on. Two on my chickens had this. They seemed fine other than the red, swollen butts, so I just decided to keep an eye on them. A week ago one of them suddenly died and now the other is very sick. I have to think that this is all related, although I have no idea what it is. I'm trying antibiotics in what seems to be the 11th hour... I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of days.

5. linseylew4409

linseylew4409 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    Ah!! Death? No!! Well the RI has had no butt feathers for months...she seems fine otherwise. She is ALSO missing feathers on her back but she is the only one who is. We don't have any roosters although some of the girls have been taking "control". I witnessed some plucking/pecking feathers out a few months ago, but not lately. I will take a look at that thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by