naked face - feather picking?

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Of my four millie pullets - two just suddenly had part of their beard/muffs totally disappear in one day. Do you think one of the other hens is picking the face feathers off? Theese gals just started laying so I'm wondering if they are craving more protein. Fed them eggs the last two days just in case.

I was just about to post the same problem!!! Oh wow, I went out and one of my EE half her beard was gone!!! In one day. So sad. I believe mine are just cooped up with the snow for weeks now and taking it out on our sweet little dusty. That EE is the bottom of the heirarchy. They usually free range so they are not happy with being stuck inside for so long. You have a good point about the protein though.

I've had that happen with both and EE an a silkie. The EE has a bald face and the silkie a bald throat. I haven't been able to catch the feather picker. Dunno.

I'd love any tips anyone has on finding the culprit!

video camera
thumbsup.gif

How old are they? They could be going through a mini molt. The same thing has been happening to my girls. It started with one of my faverolle, and now a couple of my cochins are missing feathers, and my EE is missing part of her tail. I bought a giant bag of BOS the other day to give them more protein.

Sonja

These guys are about 29-30 weeks old. I don't think its a mini molt. I would think they would be losing feathers elsewhere - they have just totally lost their beard/muff and in one day. One of them it is just on one side so she looks like a 4 year old who got a hold of the scissors.

Last edited:
Quote:
Mine is on just one side also, which makes me think whoever is on the perch next to her on the left side is doing it. Have yours been locked up due to the weather?

BOS are black oil sunflower seeds. They're high in protein and my girls go nuts for them!!

Have you noticed extra feathers in the coop? The weather has been really nice here, so they're spending a lot of time outdoors. My girls are about 7 months old, and the majority of them have been on the neck.

Sonja

Back
Top Bottom