1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

naked face - feather picking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pbjmaker, Jan 19, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Of my four millie pullets - two just suddenly had part of their beard/muffs totally disappear in one day. Do you think one of the other hens is picking the face feathers off? Theese gals just started laying so I'm wondering if they are craving more protein. Fed them eggs the last two days just in case.

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I was just about to post the same problem!!! Oh wow, I went out and one of my EE half her beard was gone!!! In one day. So sad. I believe mine are just cooped up with the snow for weeks now and taking it out on our sweet little dusty. That EE is the bottom of the heirarchy. They usually free range so they are not happy with being stuck inside for so long. You have a good point about the protein though.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I've had that happen with both and EE an a silkie. The EE has a bald face and the silkie a bald throat. I haven't been able to catch the feather picker. Dunno.

I'd love any tips anyone has on finding the culprit!

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    video camera [​IMG]

5. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they? They could be going through a mini molt. The same thing has been happening to my girls. It started with one of my faverolle, and now a couple of my cochins are missing feathers, and my EE is missing part of her tail. I bought a giant bag of BOS the other day to give them more protein.

Sonja

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    These guys are about 29-30 weeks old. I don't think its a mini molt. I would think they would be losing feathers elsewhere - they have just totally lost their beard/muff and in one day. One of them it is just on one side so she looks like a 4 year old who got a hold of the scissors.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:What is BOS?

8. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Quote:Mine is on just one side also, which makes me think whoever is on the perch next to her on the left side is doing it. Have yours been locked up due to the weather?

9. mylilchix

BOS are black oil sunflower seeds. They're high in protein and my girls go nuts for them!!

Have you noticed extra feathers in the coop? The weather has been really nice here, so they're spending a lot of time outdoors. My girls are about 7 months old, and the majority of them have been on the neck.

Sonja

10. mylilchix

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by