Naked frizzle roo - pressure spots?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stilldeb, Jan 25, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    My little black frizzle Cochin roo, Freddy, is molting. He is pretty naked. But he has red places on his skin like on his joints, too. Is this just pressure places from not having any feathers on these spots? He seems fine otherwise. Should I put something on these spots?

deb g

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Pecking maybe? Or possibly mites? I'd check for mites,

and watch for pecking [​IMG]

3. stilldeb

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I looked him over pretty good and didn't see any mites, plus nobody else in the pen - 11 in all - looks like him. Now I'm worried about him because he is my "punky little roo", even smaller than chickens half his age, and I've already moved him once because a silky was picking on him.

Thanks - will give him some TLC and see what's goin' on out there.

deb g
    KY

4. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    This may sound strange, but those red spots are normal! It is actually testosterone in the Rooster that causes it. Some where on here, there is a couple photos of a lady in Israel who has two featherless meat birds, one is a rooster, and his skin is all blotchy with red, looks sore, but she assured everyone, that it is just the way roosters are, we just dont normally see it due to the feathers.

If he is not worried about it, and you dont see any pecking or parasites, I would chalk it up to testosterone! Here is a link to the article on BVC. photos are on the first page. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=407328&p=1

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] wow good answer. [​IMG] for some reason I have trouble thinking that deep [​IMG]

6. stilldeb

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    OK, well that makes sense because the spots do resemble his comb and wattles and he doesn't seem concerned about it. (and some of the younger-than-him pullets he is in with have just started laying a few eggs, where up til now he has pretty much been a glorified babysitter, now he is a 'suitor'...ha) He is such a sweetie, we just love him - answers me when I call his name and runs across the yard to me, and loves having his neck scratched. My husband says he is a 'mama's boy'...don't care - better than a mean roo!

deb g
    KY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by