1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

naked neck araucana chick? pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pride&joy, Jan 8, 2010.

1. pride&joy

pride&joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello I bought some hatching Araucana eggs on ebay and two chicks have hatched so far. One looks as I expected but the other has a naked neek?? I wrote the breeder and they say they don’t have any naked necks only pens with rumples, tufted araucanas? Here are some pics the chick are about two days old and the eggs where all a uniform color consistent with what I would expect:([​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][iHello I bought some hatching Araucana eggs on ebay and two chicks have hatched so far. One looks as I expected but the other has a naked neek?? I wrote the breeder and they say they don’t have any naked necks only pens with rumples, tufted araucanas? Here are some pics the chick are about two days old and the eggs where all a uniform color consistent with what I would expectmg][/i[​IMG][​IMG][/URL]mg]mg]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Do they happen to raise an Naked Necks at all? They may have labeled the egg wrong.

3. pride&joy

they said no and eggs where blue green?

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Can you get a better pic of the brown one? That one doesn't appear to be an araucana either. I'm pretty sure this is a dominant gene, which means there has to be a bird visibly naked neck to produce this chick.

5. pride&joy

Quote:this chick looks tuffed but I can't tell for sure?[​IMG][/URL][​IMG][/URL][​IMG][/URL]mg]mg]img]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The pics are very tiny, so it's still hard to say but it looks like muffs/beard. The face is a bit too fluffy for a tufted bird.

7. Leonoj

Leonoj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2010
    Aguada
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and working on the bantam araucana hobbie. Do you have recent pictures of your hatched naked neck chickens? If eggs were real blue, then that may be a comeback from a previous generation of a nacked neck caring the blue gene. That is very interesting an unusual.

8. pride&joy

Ok so after further investigation (thorough interrogation of those who set eggs) and further water boarding (just kidding ). It turns out there was an extra egg in with some turkey eggs that were set along with the araucana eggs in the bator. None of the turkey eggs hatched (so I ordered some from cackle along with some chicks). Turns out the turkey breeder included an araucana / naked neck cross as a mystery egg. I did not set the eggs but I am the one who brings the chicks out once hatched and clean the mess. The egg looked like all the others? Oh man ha ha

[​IMG]g]

9. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    pride&joy :

Ok so after further investigation (thorough interrogation of those who set eggs) and further water boarding (just kidding ). It turns out there was an extra egg in with some turkey eggs that were set along with the araucana eggs in the bator. None of the turkey eggs hatched (so I ordered some from cackle along with some chicks). Turns out the turkey breeder included an araucana / naked neck cross as a mystery egg. I did not set the eggs but I am the one who brings the chicks out once hatched and clean the mess. The egg looked like all the others? Oh man ha ha

[/im[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44626_dsc03785.jpgg]

Oh man....[​IMG]...I'd love to see that baby when she's older! She's so cute! [​IMG] [​IMG] You could put a little bubble over her head...."Where are all my feathers?!"​

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  10. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    poor baby looks like a buzzard. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by