Naked Neck Chicken

Buster,

Hybrid NN? I was told that basically the same bird is the Naked Neck (Turken) The way I understood the Poulet Rouge is the process on how there were raised. I have already ordered 150 of these birds. I put out my order form on Tuesday and by Friday had 100 sold. This will give me some extra's for my family and friends. I planned on tractor/free range in my back yard inside a 40 x 40 moveable electric fence. I feel I can do this and move them about every 3rd day to a new spot. I will then set up my processing day between 85 - 90 days later. I am hoping to 1 use less feed since they are good foragers and 2 raise them to about 3.5 - 4 lbs. I got all cockerels.

Last edited:
Cool. I'm considering trying some myself some day. Where did you end up ordering from?

I was referring to the Rebro (I think) NN developed for the Poulet Rouge program. Those are hybrids from what I understand. Technically, you can raise any bird by the PR program, but a couple of lines were developed to do best in that program. The lines the Freedom Ranger comes from is another example.

You should keep a grow out journal for us. I don't know that anyone has done that here for NN meat birds.

ETA
Your setup is one that I have been considering lately, myself, with a combination of tractor and netting. I still plan on moving my tractor daily, just so they aren't in the same spot every night.

Last edited:
Buster,

I ordered from Cackle Hatchery as with delivery they were between 3 and 5 cents cheaper by bird. I looked around and I found Welp to be well over a $1 more per bird. Ideal was very close to Cackle. I think with shipping the difference was $2 total. I will be keeping a journal. They should be arriving the last week of this month with my 25 layers that I am adding to my current batch to give me 40.

I plan to raise them on 27% broiler for the entire time just because from what I have read and heard they forage great and don't eat from the feeder as much. And from talking to a farmer that raises these birds in Georgia they tell me they keep 50 birds to an 8 x 8 tractor anymore and they don't do as well since they like lots of space. So with my tractors that are 8 x 12 x 4 I think 75 in each will do well especially since they will be able to leave it and range outside of it.

Last edited:
Buster,

Yes, I chatted with Liz on and off for about a month. And she told me that that process at 90 days and their birds are consistantly between 3.5 - 4 lbs each. Thought that sounded great.

Sounds like a great plan.

Just FYI, this will be the first year Tim and Liz will be raising their own line of birds. Previously the NNs they shipped in were hybrid meat types and I'm pretty sure they were Redbro. You might want to double check that, but that might be why they have had such good results. I'm not sure they are just any old NN.

If that is not the case, that would be even better.

Be sure to update us on your progress!

Well I finally got my dates of shipment. For some reason cackle is splitting my order into two. 50 on the 29th to ship and 50 on the 31st. Seems odd but I am just happy they are all coming.

Also, that same week my new 25 layers should show up. I can't wait.

I'm very interested in raising Naked Necks for meat.
I have been trying to get in touch with S & G Poultry regarding their Naked Necks (which I think might be a hybrid meat type)...
I would love to know how your projects went with the naked neck birds you got! If you have a minute... please let me know where you got them, when you processed them and how much the weighed when processed... any advice would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom