Naked Neck Genetics...need some help with dying chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MamaMarcy, Mar 7, 2012.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Is the NN gene potentially lethal if you cross a NN with a NN?

I ordered 8 eggs off of eBay, & she sent 15. All 15 grew embryos. 1 early quitter, 2 died just before PIP, 1 died a few days before lockdown. I hatched out 11 (1 is still incubating, about a week behind cause it was lost in our couch for awhile).

The 2 that died just before PIP I egg-topsies and both were NN. The one that died a few days before was too decayed to inspect. The early quitter and the one still incubating of course I have no idea. The 11 that hatched out alive are ALL naked necks. I expected a 50/50'ish NN ratio, so this makes me wonder if the seller maybe bred NN:NN?

Plus, of the 11 that hatched 4 have died within 24 hours for no apparent reason.

They are also silkies if that matters.

Thanks so much. I just feel bad for the ones who died. :(

2. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    not an expert, but I don't think there any issue with the NN gene being lethal... IIRC, it is dominant, so all the offspring would be naked necked if one parent carried two copies of the gene... and 11 hatched out of 15 isn't really that horrible(73%... pretty close to not shabby territory, really)... as to the ones that died after hatching, no clue... maybe some other folks on here can help if you give some more details

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I'm thrilled with the hatch rate. I'm just worried that so many died after hatch (and close to hatch)

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I've read some studies that said there was a slight lethal factor for NN pre-hatch. Can't really say myself as I haven't kept strict records on egg hatches.. overall they seem to hatch normally.

Absolutely not normal for NN to die after hatching, that has nothing to do with NN gene for sure.. have hatched plenty of "very naked chicks", bred several generations of NN to NN, all sorts of crosses/mixes/purbreds, they all grow same as any other chick.

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Thanks so much for the replies!

I'm not sure what the deal is. I know the ones that are left are so extremely cute. They're so tiny and fuzzy you can barely see their naked necks [​IMG]

4 look very Americana baby ish. I'll be interested to watch them grow. I need to hobble one as soon as hubby gets home (spraddle leg). It's about 24 hours old and I just noticed the problem...then promptly fell in the snow landing on my turned backwards right ankle. So Hubby will have to go get the critter for me.

6. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Sorry to change the subject. But, how did you lose and egg in your couch?? Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by