Naked Neck Had to Move

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JustAChickenLittle&More, Dec 21, 2010.

1. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I have one naked neck silkie. I want to say "showgirl", but I think its a roo? Anyway, it came from my last hatch of about 3 weeks ago. I had her with the rest of the 3 week old chickens, Mostly silkies, one americana-looking chick and one black cochin chick (I believe). Well, that black cochin kept pecking the crap out of that naked neck silkie. I couldn't get him to stop and she/he kept yelping. So...I moved her into the other brooder with the younger chicks. They were born a week or so ago. She/he is doing great in there. Of course it looks like a giant next to those tiny silkie chicks and the polish chick. But they are all getting along so I guess he/she is staying with that group. Do you guys think that he is Cockrel and maybe the little black cochin was a cockerel too? [​IMG]

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Almost impossible to tell the sex at this age with the showgirls & silkies.....by the way, even the males are called showgirls! [​IMG] [​IMG] It's probably being picked on just because it looks so different...it'll be fine with the younger chicks...just keep an eye on things. OR you can just send it to me!!! [​IMG]

Sometimes with chicks, there's just a bully in the group.

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    You are so right Chillin. After I moved the showgirl, I sat down to work at my computer. I started hearing other chicks yelpiing. I don't know what to do with this guy. I'm sure he's a guy. He is definitely a bully. Any ideas? He does look like a cochin. I really want to keep that showgirl if possible because she is the only showgirl that made it. Ayyyy...never had this problem except with a few hens I had a few years ago that were leghorns. I added a few to the pen and the hens wanted to have them for dinner. [​IMG]

4. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    If you have a light over them, try a red bulb...I believe it cuts down on aggression. Our newly hatched quail are little monsters & the red bulb helps alot!

5. JustAChickenLittle&More

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I guess I need to try that. Actually the only one I am having a problem with is the little black polish. He/she is picking on everybody constantly. How old do they have to be to shut off the light if they are in the house?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by