Naked Neck Mating Injury?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi, there -

I have a naked neck pullet (6 months old) named Rue who has just come into lay recently. As such, she has attracted the attention of my Sebright rooster, Picotee.

Well, today, Rue has a few "bite" marks on her neck. I'm thinking they are from Picotee. They're not horrible, but I do feel bad for her. She's a marvelous chicken with the best personality.

Is it normal for Naked Necks to get similar mating injuries? Or is it maybe because Picotee is so tiny? Mounting a standard sized hen has never been easy for him, but Rue doesn't have feathers he can grab onto.

roha.PNG

I have 2 adult NN that have been mated and 2 NN babies that are the results. I hope you have many hens for the rooster to hop on. As far as the nips, hens learn to go down and not much fighting. When they are not used to mating they run more causing the rooster to do more holding. Also depends on how old the rooster is. Teenage roosters mate more. That is why I like older hens they teach a young rooster.

View attachment 2967232
I have 2 adult NN that have been mated and 2 NN babies that are the results. I hope you have many hens for the rooster to hop on. As far as the nips, hens learn to go down and not much fighting. When they are not used to mating they run more causing the rooster to do more holding. Also depends on how old the rooster is. Teenage roosters mate more. That is why I like older hens they teach a young rooster.
I have 11 hens, ranging from 6 months to 3.5 years and one 2 year old rooster.

So you don't think his size is contributing? He weighs about 1 lb. He is super tiny - even smaller than my Silkies. I didn't consider his size when I brought her home. Didn't even occur to me that her lack of feathers might be an issue.

I have 11 hens, ranging from 6 months to 3.5 years and one 2 year old rooster.

So you don't think his size is contributing? He weighs about 1 lb. He is super tiny - even smaller than my Silkies. I didn't consider his size when I brought her home. Didn't even occur to me that her lack of feathers might be an issue.
I really do think they will figure it out. If not either she was too go for her know safety or the Roo goes

Oh, the roo would go, but I could probably separate them just as easily. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks!
Ya see that's what we have to do every year mostly. Cuz it seems like the chick's or ducklings we decided on keeping we always get a few boys. Some are chicken butts and some are aggressive some are down right mean

Back
Top Bottom