Naked Neck Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NewToFarming, Dec 10, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Do NN's mature more slowly than other breeds? I have a NN that is about 6 1/2 months old that has never crowed and has never shown any behaviors of a rooster until last night when I seen him mount another NN hen. His comb & wattles are slightly larger than the hens but near as big as some that I have seen on here.
    I know silkie roo's are slower to mature but they started to crow at 4 months old. This guy/girl still hasn't crowed so I was wondering if they are slower to mature than other breeds? The hens that are the same age are laying.
    These chickens always keep you guessing, don't they!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is nothing breed specific. . . Some cockerels just take longer to mature than others, even ones that are the same breed as others who mature faster.

3. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if the NN's were just slower to mature.

4. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    I am no expert but I noticed that my Turken Rooster was quite and I wondered if that was because the main rooster was fairly aggressive. Later I read that Turkens are not loud crowers or chatty hens. (My Wellie girls get the prize for chatty.) Turkens are one of the breeds that are slower to mature and their are plenty of those but I think the main personality is that Turkens are calm quite birds.

5. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Mine at least have grown out quickly. I have some seven month cockerals that are very large.
    As for maturing, I agree with Flower. Mine don't crow alot and the hens aren't chatty or cacklers either.
    My red NN roo does crow more than my blue or black ones but still not near as much as some of my other breeds.

6. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! Do you have any pics of your NN roos? Especially the tail feathers? The one in question does look a little different but not a whole lot different from the confirmed hen.
    I love my NN's. They are all so sweet!

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by