Naked Neck with a growth on neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stockedkitchen, Feb 17, 2014.

1. stockedkitchen

stockedkitchen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    The chick is maybe 5 months old and seem healthy and active other than these 2 bumps on its neck. It and it's 4 siblings are my first NN's so I dont know if they are prone to weirdness on their necks or not. If it were a reg. chicken I dont think I would ever notice until it was huge. It's not "hard" or squishy. It doesnt both "him" to touch it. Any thoughts, fatty deposits, skin tag..."he" didnt have a few weeks ago. I noticed it about a week ago, it really hasnt changed since then. Oh, any guesses as to hen or roo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would wonder if it isn't a leaking air sac from an injury to his neck. This condition is called subcutaneous emphesema, and can occur around the neck and chest or any where near an air sac in the body. Usually those look a bit tighter, since they are like a balloon under the skin. They can be deflated with an 18 gauge needle stuck carefully just under the skin, and pushing the air out or by pulling it out with a syringe connected to the needle. Sometimes they can be due to infection, but young roosters can get injured easily. Here are 2 links about this:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/223/subcutaneous-emphysema
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema

3. stockedkitchen

stockedkitchen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    It's a bit fleshy for that.... I can try. It's not HARD but it is solid. I have had dogs and cats with infections it's not that. It doesn't move under the skin. The closest I can think to describe it is a rubber implant under the skin.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If it is solid it is not subcutaneous emphysema, so don't try sticking the needle into it. It must be a cyst or a tumor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by