1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NAKED NECKS ; Breed, or variety?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by edznn, Oct 4, 2013.

1. edznn

edznn New Egg

Oct 4, 2013
    The Naked Neck breed of chickens is recognized by the American Poultry Association as large fowl and bantams in five or so color varieties. As such, the breed has certain characteristics, such as body shape, feather type, size,etc. specific to the breed.
    Eventhough I find the different NNcrosses, like Frizzles, Polish, etc. kinda cool, The APA does not include Polish for example as a variety of Naked Necks, nor does it consider Naked Neck as a variety of Polish. The Polish (or whatever) breeders have a standard to adhere to, and the Naked Neck breeders have a standard to guide their breeding decisions as well.
    I have bred the crest of the Polish, the rumplessness of Araucana, the bare neck of the NN, and the slender body of the Modern all on one bird. This project fascinated me, but I never believed they were a breed...only crossbreeds. Incredibly fun, but still mongerals.
    I woud like to here from anyone who has crossed chickens to acieve some bazarre results.

2. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Ok so first of all....withh noooo meann of offense of course.... but whar u said doesn't make sense to me.... naked necks are NOT a breed people..... it's a trait carried in the genes..... so any breed of chickens can have a nacked neck if they carry the gene.... and the frizzle same story..... it's like me and my brother.... one has curly hair and one straight hair.... but still from the same family.... true and of course u can cross nacked necks with other chickens... but that doesn't make a cross between tow breeds as a rule of a thumb..... but yeah I too like cross breeding.... and multiple traits colors shapes behavior the offspring show..... and I noticed that my NN roo wich is a MUTT... his offspring are mostly navked necks while my hens are all normal (feathered necks) and until now... the NN offspring seem to be all roos with me... lol...

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    It's obvious neither of you have a SOP nor read one.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. Majd

Majd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Well tell us what you read.... flood us with your knowledge mr.... :rolleyes:

5. edznn

edznn New Egg

Oct 4, 2013
    No offense taken. And nooo offense intended by this reply either. The APA does recognize Naked Necks as a specific breed ( or at least that's what my SOP says ), and this breed carries the gene for a bare neck and less than "normal" feathering over the rest of their bodies. They also carry a whole bunch of other traits as well, and it is this unique combination of genes that defines any breed. Just infusing the bare neck gene does make this bird a Naked Neck. It's kinda like calling any barred chicken a Barred Rock.

6. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    Hummm, Just an NN Bantam Buff Hen question for all.

Will my NN Bantam Buff Hen, always have to breed with a Bantam Roo ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hoping she could breed with my Cochin Cockerel someday.

[​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is a naked neck gene (Na) and a naked neck breed (sometimes referred to as turkens). In the near future (I think December?) naked neck silkies (showgirls) will have a qualifying meet to become a recognized variety.

1 person likes this.
  8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    my very own Naked Neck Buff Cochins...
    Quote:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  9. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state
    Awwwww Sweet, I had to look a few times @ your pic nicalandia and that Puff ball chick, your hen looks SO much like my Girl, mines not a cochin. just a Bantam.
    I'm wondering if she can ONLY breed with other Bantams Roos . . . is your hen full size ?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  10. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Full size...!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by