Naked Necks get sunburn?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peaguy, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Am not sure exactly where this post belongs but since it has to do with general health issues I'll put it here to start Moderators please feel free to move it if it is in the wrong place!
    Being red headed and fair skinned, now on blood pressure meds, this is a constant concern to me, I must constantly make sure I am protected when outside....
    I know that many animals will also sunburn, Pigs, Horse, Cattle. My question is.... I am anticipating the probability of receiving some NN's in my brown egg layer assortment from Ideal in two weeks. How concerned should I be about the sun and the NN's getting sunburned? I have lots of shade in the run and of course the brooder will be in the house until they are ready to graduate to the coop/run. Just wondering how they handle any direct sunlight as I have not seen this addressed anywhere. Should I keep the sunscreen handy for them as well as myself? or should I just scatter some baking potatoes around the run and let them all slow roast together? [​IMG]
    edited to fix finger wedgies by me!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    They don't sunburn. The necks do turn a deep red, especially on roosters but it is simply a normal "chicken skin" reaction to exposure. It's the same "red" as on any other chicken's combs and faces. BTW, I need to refresh on this but think bird skins have some differences from mammal skin..

Some people do think the redness is sunburn or claim they get sunburned though. There's even a popular breed chart webpage that says they get sunburned..

By the way welcome and enjoy your new birds! A lot of people will tell you the naked necks are great birds, and this I agree with!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  3. Peaguy

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Thanks Kev,
    When I first started looking into getting some chicks and first saw the NNs I wondered why on earth anyone would want such an ugly creature.... but..... the more I have learned about them and the more folks here have praised them as great egg layers and sweet birds etc. I have reached the point that I am actually hoping to get several in my assortment. I went with the asst. so that I could learn more about some of the breeds, I am primarily interested in the eggs at this point, So am hoping for NNs,BOs, BAs, and I forget the other possibilities involved in my asst choice.I will then be adding to my shopping list after these! T/hey are due to ship on the 18th and don't have far to travel so I expect to receive them on the morning of the 19th. Am trying to get my backside out into the heat and start getting the 20+ year old coop rebuilt and re-fenced. I have an 8X12 coop and a 30X30 run to refurbish/clean up/rebuild. So lots of work but should still have enough time since it will be another 4-8 weeks in the brooder first

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You could always make little turtlenecks for them...[​IMG]

5. Peaguy

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    [​IMG]
    Then we would definately be having heat issues!It is 90° in the shade here today!

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Then hie on out to Hot Topic and get some cool sweatbands for them LOL
    90 already...oy...

7. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    LOL Or those safari hats with the flaps down the back.... In camo pattern...... [​IMG]

Mine have been pretty good layers. They also go broody and are good mothers if allowed to set and hatch. Yes order some to come with the assortment, just to be sure! Nice sized coop and run by the way!

It's 110-120F every summer here and they handle that fine.

8. Peaguy

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    Gads! the mere mention of 110°-120° and I remember all too well the summer we spent living in Las Vegas and the A/C went out in the apartment! Yikes! Fortunately it usually only gets to the low 100's here in central Texas. In fact we are due some this week or next I believe?! What we really need is some RAIN.

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    warning on application of sunblocking crem/lotions:
    I have read several vets warning not to use this on birds as there is a potentially toxic ingredient in them that is absorbed thru the skin.

10. Kev

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Oh interesting, did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

Haha, the other areas in the county doesn't get as hot(110 is a shocking thing for those wimps).. when someone from other areas complains about the heat, I invite them over to my place...... [​IMG] (most of them refuse to come over again during the summers after the first invite.. LOL!)

NO AC??? Yikes. I'm pretty much used to the heat but even so..!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by