Naked necks in the winter? house chickens this winter?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dar, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    My husbands friend is so impressed with his new incubator that he will go to the farmers sale and buy eggs just to see if they will hatch.. then when these little bundles hatch and if he cant tell what they are he will call me..." Hey Dar come tell me what I got!"

So a few weeks ago he had 5 naked neck chicks and about 12 EE mixes .. I was like [​IMG] Naked necks coool.... big score there...

well he showed up at work (him and hubby work together) with 2 of these naked necks for me... awww how sweet right? NOT how in the heck and I supposed to keep these chickens alive over the winter in CANADA???? Now I am thinking i will have house chickens for the winter... [​IMG]

can any naked neck owners help me out with info about cold tolerances? thanks

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I have raised NN's,I live in Virginia where winter's are pretty cold.I never noticed anything different with them such as frost bite etc.I wouldn't put any graduating newbie's out in the cold.But that's just me.Maybe by the time it get's cold there they should be able to stay out as long as you have some covered shelter from the element's for them.I have closed coop's where all my bird's roost at night. Maybe someone else has raised some and have some more info for .Congrat's on your NN's I liked mine.

3. FeatherFluff

FeatherFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NC-VA border
    We have several NN's and have had no issues with them; we had several days/nights with single-digit temps last winter and they did fine. The coop is not insulated, although they do get closed in at night. Our NN's seem to be quite hardy; plus they are so cool looking! Congrats on your new babies!! [​IMG]

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    we get to the - double digits -20*C is nothing for us in January.. and then add the wind chill it gets to -25~30*C easy

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I recently bought a few NN's myself. I thought I would have to knit them some scarves for the winter! However, having spoken to other NN keepers and looked at care of NNs on the internet, I am told that they are able to tolerate very low and very high temperatures.

Still, I like the idea of stripy neck warmers!

sandie

6. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    There have been a few frost-bit combs here on our NNs but that is about all that has happened through the years. Our temps get severe here on the Plains but not for as long as your's do. We have had temps down to the -20F with a 30+ mph wind behind it.

As long as they have shelter they will do fine. In the extreme temps they will also out-perform other breeds on egg laying and feed conversion according to the studies that I have read.

If a regular chicken will survive a NN will thrive.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The breeds index says they are suitable for all climates.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by