1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Naked Necks or Madagascar games?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BlueFoxSpringer, Feb 23, 2015.

1. BlueFoxSpringer

BlueFoxSpringer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    [​IMG]I picked up 7 of these from the feed store, thinking they were naked necks. Now I'm not so sure. They appear to have pea combs. They are very leggy. Any opinions on what they are?

2. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Gosh I wish I knew... sure are cute though!

3. BlueFoxSpringer

Dec 2, 2009
    [​IMG]Another angle of their face. They look sort of primitive!

1 person likes this.
  4. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Now I'm picturing them with little spears dancing around the fire lol tribal chicks!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Where did you get them from? I'm thinking that they're Naked Necks/Turkens.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Naked Necks to me.

7. BlueFoxSpringer

Dec 2, 2009
    They came from ideal originally.

8. BlueFoxSpringer

Dec 2, 2009
    Do all turkens/ naked necks have a single comb? I've had some in the past that had a single comb. But these have a flat comb, like a pea or walnut or some such. So it threw me off when I saw it.

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Can't see comb but their facial skin pattern does match a NN with pea comb. It's different from NN chicks with single combs.

If feed store got them direct from a hatchery, madagascar game is a good guess. Try asking and getting name of hatchery and see their list of breeds.. if they list these, bingo.

If they got from private breeders, that will be harder... it is very common for NN to be mixed with other breeds and sold as NN/turkens so it could be that or happens to be madagascar or.....

10. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    My previous reply was before seeing your new posts... Ideal has madagascar games. Great eye! :)

turkens are supposed to have single comb, all from hatcheries do. From backyarders, it can be a grab bag. I've deliberately introduced rose comb into mine, and some breeders do the same with pea for a 'cleaner' head look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by