naked necks

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
Is there such a thing as a black nake neck? I was given this chicken last weekend and it has No featers on its neck (crop area). I have checked for bugs of all kinds, NONE. Then I thought maybe a roo or other hens had been picking at it. The owner said they raised it from a chick and it was the only one they had. He said the family member he got it from has all kinds of free range chickens running around. Could this be a cross between a nake neck and something else?

I seen chickens like that when I was in the Philippines. I asked my wife why the chickens looked funny, no feathers on their necks. She shrugged her shoulders and said they called them Cobra chickens.
I know this doesn't help but I never forgot that, too funny at the time.
sorry...

Yes all sorts of colors. Black NN IS accepted in the show standard for NNs in fact.

The naked neck trait is dominant so any breeding any naked neck with any other birds are going to produce at least half naked neck chicks. It's extremely common for naked necked birds out of backyards to be 100% mixes or crosses but are regarded as NN or Turken simply because it had a naked neck(if it has some feathers on legs or a crest, that's a very strong tell tale sign of a backyard mix). But this also means it is possible for them to come in literally all colors and patterns there are. So if you like her and want to make some more, just breed her with a rooster you like or is a "best match" for the type you want.

A huge majority of hatchery NN are black tailed buff or black tailed reds, along a lesser % of white or black with some brown streaks. I've seen a speckled NN that came from a hatchery, it was an awesome looking bird.

Haha Dude, loved that.. cobra chickens.

Birds with naked necks are common and locally very popular in various tropical or hot regions around the world- Africa, Asia, South America(many of their naked necks also lay blue eggs) etc. Often they are hardier and produce/breed better than introduced Western breeds in their free range situations(little or no supplemental feeding etc).

There's now another naked necked breed available in US- Madagascar Games. They have an Oriental game body type with a naked neck. A Vietnamese naked neck breed may be available(seems very hard to find though) called.. can't remember the exact name., maybe it's Ga Don? Also oriental type but also used for fighting so those probably are a little more game.

Probably.
smile.png
The big black one was a Madagascar roo.

I have to correct Kev, the naked neck gene is only semi-dominant. The only time it is dominant is when it is homozygous, you can tell when a naked neck/turken is homozygous when it doesnt have the patch of feathers on its throat. Very few turken/naked necks arehomozygous for the naked neck, alot of them come from inbreeding, we bred our red naked neck bantams, the roo and one of the hens are full siblings and the other hen is a half sibling. Out of about 50 chicks from the full sibling mating we got 1 feather necked, 3 homozygous naked necks(they look like they have an adams apple), and 46 normal naked necks, a few of them having deformities. With the half siblings, we got all 'normal' naked neck chicks.

Back
Top Bottom