naked with bright red skin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stilldeb, Jun 6, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have had an ongoing problem with my Bantam Cochin Frizzle rooster, Freddy. At first we thought it might be just a really bad molt, but no, this is something else and way more than just pecking, although that hasn't helped.

He is nearly totally naked now and his skin is slick and bright red, he has some feathers on his back, none on his belly or under his wings, and on his neck (where he may have been pecked) has some broken feather shafts.

I have moved him into an isolation pen and put him on game bird feed and gotten him off of layer feed he was eating with the hens and plan to bathe him today in an antibacterial/antifungal/soothing soap. He does not have mites, althought I have dusted him anyway with DE, and not another single chicken of my 16 others has anything like this.

What the heck is this? Is it solely a nutritional thing? A frizzle thing? An allergy? Fungus? He seems absolutely fine, is not sensitive, will sit with me and let me touch the red places like they don't hurt or anything. (he is a real sweetie)

deb g

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Seems like I've read that frizzles when crossed can produce chickens with severe feather problems. Check in the breeds section. You might have to make him some clothing out of an old Tshirt or something to prevent sunburn.

3. stilldeb

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    He at one time had full feathers and looked great. I do not believe he is a frazzle (frizzle to frizzle) although he is from a hatchery. He is currently in a cage in the garage as I was concerned about sunburn, too, since he is so naked. I am babying him for awhile and guess I will see what happens.

deb g

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    This is a case I would take to a vet. This issue could be nutritional, dermatological, or even allergies or stress. There is really no way for us to know for sure. You can call your local extension office for information on local livestock vets or they may have information on avian vets, also. Check your phonebook or local.yahoo.com for avian vets in your area.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

The red skin is a result of exposure, but not sunburn and shouldn`t irritate him at all. Sunburn could occur, but unles you keep him inside, there is no way to prevent it and he will deal with it. DE is the least potent treatment for bugs, even to the point of being useless, in my humble opinion. Sevin dust is tried and true and safe, even for chicks, but you should examine him at night with a flashlight to see if he has them. Look under the tail and around the vent. As far as the missing feathers goes, the boy may be doomed to live naked for a long time. Chances are, if he`s seperate from the feather pickers and fed an increased amount of protien (don`t overdo it as too much is as bad as too little) he should recover. May take until he moults again, but it`s a crap shoot. Good luck..........Pop

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Do your other birds show any of the same sign's ??, do you or have you ever had a mice/lice problem ??.

7. stilldeb

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    No on any of the other chickens having anything like this, and I have thought of contacting our local extension agent, as we are in a farming community, surely they would have seen something like this before, may give them a call tomorrow. I am going to try keeping him separated/inside, treating his skin topically and feeding him well for awhile and see how it goes.

deb g

8. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I'm just throwing this out there but there could be an issue with the frizzle- NN cross that this bird may be featherless from now on. A normal NN when it starts to mature the neck turns bright red, is the texture of the skin on the body the same as the neck if so you may never get feathers as others stated.

Any chance of a pictures.

9. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    Well I can almost guarantee you that he has a double dose of the frizzle gene and he will be fine (ugly) but fine. Here are a couple of pictures of my "Frankie" aka Frankenchicken I won first place in an ugly chicken contest with him too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He made some beautiful babies for us and we had him for years. He went to the big coop in the sky this spring and he will be sadly missed.

10. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Did Frankie ever get any more feathers than he has in the pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by